Tired diver tow or push?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tow can also be used to prevent someone from becoming tired. I was once in a group that had to surface swim into a current in order to reach the starting point of a dive. A woman in the group was working very hard. I just reached over and did a tank valve tow to give her a little help. I didn't see any reason for her to start the dive in a state of exhaustion. She was quite happy for the assistance.

The timing of this tread couldn't be better for me. I've started my DM program and next week will be the first pool sessions. I've been debating whether to pull or push. My issue is the pool is 25 yards long. Is it feasible to even consider the push in a pool? Aside for who's head hits the wall, I'm seeing the turn around as my biggest issue since time is involved.

Any recommendations?

del_mo:
The timing of this tread couldn't be better for me. I've started my DM program and next week will be the first pool sessions. I've been debating whether to pull or push. My issue is the pool is 25 yards long. Is it feasible to even consider the push in a pool? Aside for who's head hits the wall, I'm seeing the turn around as my biggest issue since time is involved.

Any recommendations?

Do you mean in order to get the fastest possible time?

Usually the fin push is the fastest, but it is harder to make turns.

My solution was to get all the points I needed in the other areas so I didn't need to care about the time. I did a tow into the wind and waves in the ocean--good thing the time didn't matter!

Walter:
Drop #2, it'll kick your butt. It's an exhausting tow. Try it against a current some time.

Yeah, but it gives you a nice level of control. Last spring I had to do a nice long tow in San Carlos with a diver who became physically ill. Every time he heaved, he tried to go face first into the water, so I needed to use his tank to control him. (and I was so whipped at the end of the tow that I started going to the gym again when I got home).

Tired diver tows are pretty simple to understand once show how. However, if your instructor hasn't shown you how to do that skill in confined water, it makes me wonder if he hasn't skipped something else.

No matter what agency you're learning from, EVERY SKILL has to be demonstrated and successfully completed by the student in confined water first. Additionally, your instructor is responsible for demonstrating that skill prior to having you perform it. Anything less is just cutting corners and irresponsible on his part.

rakkis:
Tired diver tows are pretty simple to understand once show how. However, if your instructor hasn't shown you how to do that skill in confined water, it makes me wonder if he hasn't skipped something else.

No matter what agency you're learning from, EVERY SKILL has to be demonstrated and successfully completed by the student in confined water first. Additionally, your instructor is responsible for demonstrating that skill prior to having you perform it. Anything less is just cutting corners and irresponsible on his part.

The OP is not a student in a normal class. He is volunteering at an aquarium. He may have been diving for many years, and he may have forgotten rarely-used techniques learned in OW. I have not looked into it for quite some time, but I know you had to be very experienced to dive in the Denver aquarium. A very experienced diver may not have seen a diver tow since the original certification.

From the initial description, it also sounds as if he was told to use a non-standard technique.

I am a tank tow fan too. The trick is to kick in a steady motion rather than "pulse" with your fins because that will wear you out. Its easy to keep the diver under control in most situations.

del mo:
The timing of this tread couldn't be better for me. I've started my DM program and next week will be the first pool sessions. I've been debating whether to pull or push

No worries...You will be pushing and pulling, pushing and pulling, pushing and pulling, pushing and pulling...Del will now demonstrate two types of tired diver tows. Del will now demonstrate two types of tired diver tows. Del will now demonstrate two types of tired diver tows. If you will turn your attention to Del, he will demonstrate two types of tired diver tows:)

LOL! And I thought we would arrive at the pool and the instructor was going to say, "go!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom