Titan Triggerfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife got attacked in Phuket. She was just behind me and the last one in the group when it happened. She said it felt like someone grabbed her fin and jerked really hard. She turned to find a titan trigger swimming away. That's all that happened but it sure shook her up.

Howdy from Texas and welcome to SB!

Wear a beanie that will protect your ears for sure.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-005.gif

On my second open water dive in the Philippines, I got attacked by a huge triggerfish. At least, it looked really big. It was my second dive so I didn't know what it was. I felt something tap me on the shoulder fairly firmly. I did a 360 but didn't see any diver close by and then saw a huge fish with its mouth open, teeth exposed and "breathing heavily." It seemed to be huffing and puffing. All of the sudden, it attacked me heading straight for my face. I tried swatting it away and on the fourth swing, made contact with the fish. It bit a piece of my finger off--well, more like nipped the skin. It swam away and faced me again. Another face-off. It attacked me a third time so I started swimming away from it keeping my fins between it and me. I felt my fins make contact with the fish. Finally, the fish stopped attacking me.

My friend who was watching a distance along with a whole 20 other divers who all formed a circle around my karate match with the triggerfish said it looked like a Matrix scene kicking and punching in mid air. Good times.

Now, for some useful info. My dive instructor told me that fish territory is conical and not planar. This means if their territory is 10 square feet at the bottom of the ocean floor, ten feet up it would be more like 50 square feet. I don't know exactly what the proportion but this should give you an idea. I tried swimming up and away when I should have swam down and away.

That story sounds very similar to what happened to me a few years ago. I was diving Apo Island in the Philippines (Coconut Point). He came at me (The Titan Trigger Fish) and it was like a small 'pit bull' with his teeth 'flashing', I made the mistake of swimming upwards instead of out and away. My heart was pumping, but he never made contact with me. They could certainly take a 'chunk' out of you!

Sea Elephant:
Calling all divers with experience of this tropical denizen.....

I'm an inexperienced diver heading for Phi Phi (Thailand) in early April. I gather that the Titan Triggerfish can be a bit of a pest, particularly when guarding its nest or lair or whatever.

How do I avoid being savaged by these monsters? Any tips would be gratefully received!

Kindest regards

Sea Elephant

Here are links to several threads about them. They are mean, nasty buggers when it a certain time of the month.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=57143&highlight=Titan+Trigger

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=1202&highlight=Titan+Trigger

Rickg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom