Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, basically the hatch is the viewport at the horizontal position of the submersible?

From what I can tell by pictures
20230621_153630.jpg
The hinge is yellow,
And the whole dome swings open, red

I don't think the veiw dome is removed it swings with the door.

I saw pictures of a ring being glued on. Then the dome mounts on the ring, with the hinge and the bolts everyone complains about.

If you have ever read the story about Pisces lll where before they lifted them off the sea bed. They were instructed to release the inside hatch lock mechanism. So if they where unconscious or dead they could open it up from the outside....
That fact that someone has to open it from the outside is just part the physics, and probably the best.

I'll take bolts over a latch that penetrates the hull.
Besides
Water pressure is doing a pretty good job of it. Once underwater you don't need bolts,
(if it floods you don't care. The bolts only will keep the door closed when it equalize, and bodies inside.)

So how long is a typical trip on this craft expected to be? From the surface to the bottom followed by a tour of the Titanic and back up to the surface? When was the craft and crew expected back on the mother ship originally?

So how long is a typical trip on this craft expected to be? From the surface to the bottom followed by a tour of the Titanic and back up to the surface? When was the craft and crew expected back on the mother ship originally?

On 16 June, the expedition to the Titanic departed from St. John's, Newfoundland, aboard the research and expedition ship MV Polar Prince. The ship arrived at the dive site on 17 June, and the dive operation began the following day on 18 June at 9:00 ADT.[21] For the first hour and a half of the descent, the Titan communicated with the Polar Prince every 15 minutes, but communication stopped after a recorded communication at 11:47 ADT.[21] The vessel was expected to resurface at 18:10 ADT.[21] Authorities were notified about the incident at 18:35 ADT.[21]

If you have ever read the story about Pisces lll where before they lifted them off the sea bed. They were instructed to release the inside hatch lock mechanism. So if they where unconscious or dead they could open it up from the outside....
That fact that someone has to open it from the outside is just part the physics, and probably the best.

I'll take bolts over a latch that penetrates the hull.

Sounds like the latch does not penatrate the hull if they have to release it, and the crew outside cannot.

From some news, it plan to descend to the bottom in 2.5 hours, dropping ballast, hovering above the wreck, taking pictures, etc. for 5-7 hours, then ascend for 2.5 hours to make a total roundtrip of 10-12 hours.

It descent around 9am and the support ship called for called USG around 9:13pm to report the list of contact with Titan, 12 hours later.

Sounds like the latch does not penatrate the hull if they have to release it, and the crew outside cannot.
I don't remember it in detail...
But the other part was etched in my brain. Because i have always wanted to build one. (My dad had a large 4ft dia 600psi air tank, but once we did the math on it, wouldn't even come close to floating... my plans are kinda on hold for multiple other projects)

This one is a carbon fibre sub not made of metal… I don’t know if fatigue testing of carbon fibre is required and whether it’s strength and lack of deterioration were overestimated…
Inagoddadavida baby....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom