Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some good info gathered from previous Titan visits to Titanic.

Agreed, the cost would be mostly consumables, as you say. And maybe some stuff like overtime wages, or reimbursing the commercial operations which helped out. Anyway, that's not a number I came up with, that's the Post reporting on a defense budget expert's opinion. It would not surprise me if when all is said and done, that number grows or shrinks a bit, especially if a large investigation follows.

The point I'm making is that being mad about the cost of the rescue operation, is just not the right thing to be mad about. The military and the coast guard are very expensive. If we sat down as a society and decided that rescue operations shouldn't be done, yeah, we would all save a couple dollars on our taxes. But we wouldn't be making an improvement -- having these resources ready to deploy as emergencies arise is worth the cost. Akimbo hit the nail on the head a few posts up when he said this:

Some more discussions about the cost:

P.S. The Canadians contributed a great deal to the rescue but no one gives them enough credit. Canadians are very nice people (except two Canadians I know).
Is one a bit sassy and one a bit chillier?

Wink twice if you cannot speak publicly

Is one a bit sassy and one a bit chillier?

Wink twice if you cannot speak publicly

The Sassy one is really nice and likes me, the chillier one I can't figure it out doesn't give me warm feeling.

Back
Top Bottom