Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If so, why do we keep hearing about oxygen tanks being recovered after an accident? Over and over.
I hear you loud and clear. As I said, it requires work and willingness to engage in the process of learning, on both sides. And of course, I fully acknowledge that many reporters, particularly in TV News, who are underpaid and understaffed, don't always live up to the task, and yet others are plain lazy. All we can do is continue to try and educate. In the specific case of the oxygen tanks, my personal hypothesis is that many reporters are much more familiar with firefighting than scuba diving, and since firefighters carry gear that looks very similar, it is tempting to surmise that scuba divers, too, carry oxygen in their tanks, just like the firefighters. Let's be honest - how many of us in the sport knew that scuba tanks hold air (or gas mixes other than air) before we took our first certification class?

Serious question, does Oceangate refund the families? Or would doing so admit guilt/responsibility.

In the specific case of the oxygen tanks, my personal hypothesis is that many reporters are much more familiar with firefighting than scuba diving, and since firefighters carry gear that looks very similar, it is tempting to surmise that scuba divers, too, carry oxygen in their tanks, just like the firefighters.
??

And here I was thinking that Nozzle Nuts, er, FFs, carried very high prezzure air in their SCBA tanks.

All they heard was a suspect noise. Once they found the debris, it confirmed their suspicions. They didn't "know" anything until then.

They couldn't be sure it was what they heard. If there was any hope, the search had to be conducted.

Make sense. The Admiral mentioned that this implosion such a catastrophic event, "this would generated a significant broad band sound down there that sonobuoy would have picked up" as he put it at 15:22 of the briefing, not just a blip in the signal, that any sonobuoy would have detected & plus the timing of when it happened, putting the 2 things together would make a credible reason to focus the search at the Titanic. Any rate, 72 hour deployment of the ROV at that depth, discovering and identifying of the debris are very quick. So, I'm sure that they did it as fast as they could.

my personal hypothesis is

^^^^^^^^ This is the problem
that many reporters are much more familiar with firefighting than scuba diving, and since firefighters carry gear that looks very similar, it is tempting to surmise that scuba divers, too, carry oxygen in their tanks, just like the firefighters. Let's be honest - how many of us in the sport knew that scuba tanks hold air (or gas mixes other than air) before we took our first certification class?
^^^^^^^^ This is the problem

I hear you loud and clear. As I said, it requires work and willingness to engage in the process of learning, on both sides. And of course, I fully acknowledge that many reporters, particularly in TV News, who are underpaid and understaffed, don't always live up to the task, and yet others are plain lazy. All we can do is continue to try and educate. In the specific case of the oxygen tanks, my personal hypothesis is that many reporters are much more familiar with firefighting than scuba diving, and since firefighters carry gear that looks very similar, it is tempting to surmise that scuba divers, too, carry oxygen in their tanks, just like the firefighters. Let's be honest - how many of us in the sport knew that scuba tanks hold air (or gas mixes other than air) before we took our first certification class?
Firefighters also carry compressed air, not oxygen.

My guess - he prob knows a bunch of people involved in the SAR since that's a small community and people are sharing stuff with him and others they are buddies with privately.
Robert Ballard worked for the the CIA or a similar agency. His search for the Titanic was actually a cover story for looking for something else (I think it was a lost Russian sub, I am not solid any of this, going totally by memory). He almost certainly has better access into what information is available than most. As I heard it, the Navy was actually kind of pissed when he actually found the Titanic. They would have preferred a nice quiet failure.

My guess is pretty much every modern navy in the Atlantic heard the bang. I bet the last few days have just window dressing on trying to avoid letting the Russians and the Chinese know exactly how thorough US/NATO monitoring of the Atlantic is. Everyone who is anyone in deep submersibles was probably very aware of what was going on.

I know composite materials are not great for pressure vessels. Fiber glass tanks have a finite life, unlike steel. When a fiber breaks it stays broken. Once they noticed the hull starting to fail, it was a runaway train. they just were not going up faster than hull was cracking. This is just my thoughts on the matter.

The oxygen tank thing is because a) that's what in the cylinders in hospital rooms and ambulances which is likely the only place they've seen them in person, b) in all the medical dramas everybody talks about giving oxygen to the patient/victim, and c) most people think oxygen is just a fancy word for air anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom