TMJ Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Are there any other divers out there who have experienced TMJ symptoms while diving?

I just had my first cert class last night. While performing reg skills, my jaw joint cracked/popped twice very loudly. After that, I couldn't fully open my mouth for several hours, and today it's still a little sore. My dive master suggested a smaller reg mouthpiece. Where would I find one of these?

Thanks for all of your help! I'm getting certified for a trip to Cozumel next summer. I can hardly wait!

Well, the 'right way' is..... Even if these symptoms are most pronounced when you dive, they may very well represent an underlying bite/ alignment issue that will probably get worse, not better over time. You should see a dentist for his/her opinion. Meanwhile, a couple of other short term remedies tend to be: 1) Get a Seacure or other mouthpiece that you can customize better to your mouth 2) Get a 'Comfobite' mouthpiece, that is issued with Aqualung/Apeks regulators-- it kind of 'floats' in your mouth, and you don't bite on it as much as a traditional mouthpiece and 3) with more experience, you will tend to relax more underwater, and you won't 'clench' the mouthpiece as hard.-- FWIW

Ask your dive store about custom reg mouthpieces. Good luck.

But if it was that big of a problem, maybe a physcian should be consulted, too. :lildoc:

I have some severe TMJ issues as well--to the degree that my jaw locks after doing something as simple as chewing gum, etc. I found too, that with a standard mouthpiece I had to physically hold the reg in place after 20 minutes or so...not fun.
I have a seacure and have found it to solve most of my own issues--it is not a small mouthpiece; just the opposite, it's very large and bulky. However, because it goes all the way back to the back teeth, they equally hold it in place without having to actually bite down. It looks very awkward, but is very comfortable, IMO. If you choose this option, be aware there are several models to fit different regs--there is a chart on back of the container, I believe. It was only @$25 locally.
I have not tried any of the other options out there, however, so they very well could be equally or more effective.

Yep, happens to me, too. I have always had fairly severe TMJ issues, and diving enhances the effect. Like KBeck, I have a Seacure mouthpiece, and it helps me, also. It keeps my jaw properly aligned, and it, being harder than the standard rubber mouthpieces, makes it less attractive to bite down hard into. I find that I am constantly chewing on a softer, standard mouthpiece like chewing gum, and when I come to the surface, my jaw is numb from it.
The one drawback is that since the Seacure mouthpiece goes so far back on the molars, it may trigger your gag reflex if you are sensitive. I had to trim mine quite a bit to avoid that pleasant little problem. Otherwise, I recommend them.

GAKKKKK, I hate those mouthpieces. I was doing an s-drill the other day with a new cave buddy and dgot passed one of those. I nearly peed in my drysuit and forgot I didnt have a reg in after I spat that thing out.

I guess if they are right for you then great, but make sure that your buddy knows if you are diving a Hogarthian rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom