To all Camera Housing Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Don't buy a camera housing that includes instructions to put it in a bathtub to see if it leaks (actually on the canon housing instructions).

Terry
Why should that be a problem?
I view it as a bit of wonderful advice/preventive measure and a way to check if the oring is really seated.

Regardless of the brand Ikelite/Canon or whatever manufacturer, o-rings all work in the same fashion, are prone to the same issues and will flood in the same way.

To suggest that the Canon housing is somehow deficient because it makes mention of checking the housing in a bathtub, bucket or whatever for leaks is plain nonsense IMO.

Jamdiver:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Monkey
Don't buy a camera housing that includes instructions to put it in a bathtub to see if it leaks (actually on the canon housing instructions).

Terry

Why should that be a problem?
Testing an UW housing by putting it in a bucket is like testing the strength of a trailer hitch by trying to pull it off with your finger.

Regardless of the brand Ikelite/Canon or whatever manufacturer, o-rings all work in the same fashion, are prone to the same issues and will flood in the same way.
The difference is that the Ikelite housing has more free space inside so you can see a leak before the camera gets wet and do something about it.

Assuming a 1 foot deep bucket, the pressure is 0.44 PSI, which is quite different from the pressure at depth. If it's leaking in the bucket, there's something horribly wrong with the case. Not leaking in the bucket does not mean it won't leak at 80' or 100'.
To suggest that the Canon housing is somehow deficient because it makes mention of checking the housing in a bathtub, bucket or whatever for leaks is plain nonsense IMO.
Would you wear a bulletproof vest that said to test it by having a 9-year-old shoot it with a bb-gun?

Terry

In many applications, the problem with the Ikelite housing is the size. I would not have been able to take many of my favorite pictures if I'd had one.

Trust me ... given the issues I've had with the Olympus housing I really considered it. And the cost isn't a consideration at all ... I spend that much on breathing gas in an average month. I just don't want a housing that huge ... the critters I'm photographing are too often found inside a log or underneath a piling where if you don't have a small setup to get in there, you don't get the picture.

FWIW - I really do like the double o-ring design of the Fuji housings. It's a pity none of the larger manufacturers have adopted the idea ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver said it. I love the ikelite housing for my a620 but that sucker is huge and at times I do miss that smaller and easier to handle canon housing.

As for canon putting instructions to test the housing in a bucket of water, it's just to cover their *****e$. We live in a society where you have to put a warning when buying a cup of hot coffee coz if you don't and somebody gets burned, lawyers will be coming after you.

Web Monkey:
Testing an UW housing by putting it in a bucket is like testing the strength of a trailer hitch by trying to pull it off with your finger.

If this was my first dive with a new housing then perhaps i'd take it all the way to depth to make sure they're no problems with it.
I generally don't do that however.

Your point also assumes that the housings aren't manufactured to certain quality standards and and aren't tested/analyzed before being shipped out.

The difference is that the Ikelite housing has more free space inside so you can see a leak before the camera gets wet and do something about it.

I don't remember mentioning anything about the dimensions/volume of the Ikelite housing??
Looking at my Canon housing i'm pretty sure that I could spot a leak in it if it occured, it is also clear

Assuming a 1 foot deep bucket, the pressure is 0.44 PSI, which is quite different from the pressure at depth. If it's leaking in the bucket, there's something horribly wrong with the case. Not leaking in the bucket does not mean it won't leak at 80' or 100'.

Chances are that if a housing floods it will flood while it is shallow.
Barring some gross manufacturing defects the culprit is almost always the o-ring, which works the same way in the Ike and Canon housings.
So I don't exactly understand why you hold Canon housings in such low esteem.

Would you wear a bulletproof vest that said to test it by having a 9-year-old shoot it with a bb-gun?

Terry

Again it's a helpful suggestion that can be used for all different kinds of housing.

#1 Cause of floods is user error

Jamdiver:
Your point also assumes that the housings aren't manufactured to certain quality standards and and aren't tested/analyzed before being shipped out.

Yeah, pretty much.

My regulator doesn't have a warning that says to try it in the bathtub before each dive.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom