To be, or not to be...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Fish:
Hello everybody,

I thought of a question today to ask at a place like this.

This is a place where those who love diving come to congregate, share their ideas, experiences, knowledge, etc..

So I was just wondering this:

How many of you are considering making diving a career, or perhaps are already in the professional diving arena?

Also, if you deciding to make it a career, what type of path do you plan on taking?

Divemaster for charter trips? Diving instructor? Dive Shop Owner and proprietor? Commercial Diving industry? Diving technology engineering? Diving Medicine?

I guess I'm just assuming that a lot of the people that come to a place like this enjoy diving, perhaps, just a little bit more than the average C-card and C-ya later!-type diver.

C~F

...from age 8.

First I considered Marine Biology, but discovered there was more time spent in the lab than on the bottom; I then looked seriously into Marine Archaeology, but found the road to the bottom was too long academically, & again, the job involved more time on surface than in the deeps.

Then I discovered commercial oilfield diving &... PRESTO! THAT was the life for me!

You wanna talk "Tek" diving - the deepsea oilfields are the place to be: vast saturation diving complexes, diving bells, millions of ft3 of helium to quaff & best of all - the nifty jobs to be done! Burning steel, raising ships, setting structures, laying pipeline, blowing things up...the list of fun goes on & on!

The catch: "The Life" demands your all - you go where the work is, when the work is, or you don't work. Your bags are permanently packed. You spend great gobs of time bobbing around the world's oceans, seas & lakes on barges, boats, drill platforms & other floating work stations. That means no nightlife, no chicks, no family & 12 hour / 7 days per week shifts...

I ran like the wind for 10 years with it, then age 30 rolled by & I started to think of other aspects of life - wife, kids, a home ( instead of a coat hook! ). Now I'm satisfied to teach people to be fishes & continue my love affair with the deeps in shallower depths, much closer to home.

Best,
D.S.D.

getwet2:
I hope you are not looking for any sympathy? Your play ground sort of makes up for it. :D

Wellll....i suppose its better than Canada in the winter...

but then again, you have hockey now...i have betel nut chewing... :11:

I'll SWAP ya, I'm not much of a hockey fan!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom