Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbnlaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are diving with CaribStu in March. Any recommendations on where to stay and eat in Charlottville or Speyside?

I stayed at the Manta Lodge in Speyside, the rooms were pretty good and they also have a decent restaurant attached that does a good breakfast (included in the price) and dinner. All in all it was a good choice at what I think was a very reasonable price of about 100 USD per night for a double room with balcony and sea view. There are about three or four restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, but to be honest the best food we had in Speyside was at the hotel.

I also did my diving with them and got a very good all inclusive price for the accommodation plus five two-tank boat dives.

The diving in the Speyside is excellent with a wide variety of sites including, walls, reefs, and the amazing pinnacles. Only downside was that the vis was not great when I was there in September due to it being the rainy season, March should be much better. Even so I saw Manta's, Eagle, Electric, and Sting rays, as well as nurse sharks, and of course all the smaller stuff.

Just remember the currents can be pretty strong in Tobago, so be prepared for some energetic dives!

If CaribStu will come and pick you up at the location of your choice, we really like the Blue Waters Inn (for everything except their dive op).

I would absolutely suggest that you have a vehicle- something I do in very few other Caribbean islands. This way, you can explore the beautiful back roads (another rare suggestion from me about the Caribe) and select whatever lunch and dinner place that you might spot along the way.

We buy the breakfast package at the BWI, but other than sleeping there and enjoying the quiet ambience and views- that's about all the money we spend there.

Tobago is a many faceted experience.

Went in Nov. Blue waters was having alot work done but still open great view. check out mytobago.com they have great info. We got a private apartment called birdies nest on the water in black rock. Prince runs and rented us a car.

I'd recommended the Charlottevilla in Charlotteville. Nice little apartments with kitchen and a fish market, grocery, and beer store about 100 metres away. The Garden apartment if I recall is the one on the bottom left and was a little more private as it is away from the stairs. There is a safe in the room.

The charlottevilla

If you want all incluseive options we dove with Undersea Tobago Dive Center did 10 dives 5 days, 3 days at the dive shop and 2 days in speyside.

Also a great host is Marlon of Caribbean Snorkelling, Scuba Diving & Private Boat Charters in Tobago with Coco Motion he has boat a wicked boat and does charters. On his off time he was our Dive Master with undersea. Marlon is witty and very smart he never led us wrong.

Here is the link to apartment we stayed at about 5 mile drive to The Coco Reef Resort and undersea tobago. Birdie's Nest, Tobago: Self-catering Tobago holiday apartments

Some better places we ate at.

Jemma's Seaview Kitchen
Main Road, Speyside Local/Creole at lunch not booze, lower price. Lot's rave about it, we really liked it but found better.

Seahorse Inn
Old Grafton Beach Road, Grafton classy place and very good higher priced.

Fish Pot
Pleasant Prospect Local/International very good for seafood on the side of the road, small and nice

My favorite was small village inn that we ate at, the Kariwak has real local feel, out right the best food we ate. Tobago hotel accommodation and restaurant - Kariwak Store bay I could eat there every night.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Charlotevilla was booked so we'll be at the Blue Waters Inn, which I think will be great. We'll have a rental car as well. My only debate at this point is a regular room or a beach bungalow at BWI (I've just booked regular at this point). The bungalows look great but they are really pricy (US$370/night). If anyone has info on the bungalows, we'd appreciate it! We'll be at the Beachouse in Castara for three nights before heading to BWI, so restaurant advice in Castara also appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts on Kariwak for dinner - definitely plan to add this to the list as we'll stay a night in Crown Point before heading home. We found CaribStu in the Undercurrent Chapbook. He's a bit more expensive but runs what he calls a "concierge service". We'll be the only divers with him & the boat captain. Will report post trip what we think. Tobago looks like a great adventure and we look forward to it. Thanks again to everyone for your advice!!

p.s. RoatanMan, are you really from Chicago? I grew up in Chicago, now in Charlotte, North Carolina. Mom says it's really cold back home so enjoy your island weather! Also, I got engaged in Roatan. What a small world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom