Tobago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
In Bequia, considering heading down to Tobago for a week+. Don't see any recent reports on diving and dive operators. Anyone have recommendations? I am an experienced diver and enjoy all diving but lean toward macro photography. Thanks

It has been a few years since I was in Tobago. However, the best diving is around Speyside. Not the usual place for the fancy resorts, but definitely the best diving in Tobago. I stayed on the other side of the island and rented a car to make the dive several days. The other days were spent on the other side where the diving was not nearly as good and much rougher. I can't remember the dive shop that I dove with. We did hire a local to take us out while in Speyside.

I agree with Revid1, but if you have-to gotta-get macro photography... well, it might be there, but you'll be blowing by it at a pretty good clip. Speyside and its environs are not to be missed- the underwater roller coaster ride is a phenomenal adventure- it makes Cozumel feel like a summer's breeze in comparison.

For macro and by definition, low current, there are much better locations in the Caribbean than what the other end of Tobago- Pigeon Point, has to offer. It's okay, but there are just better places to go. Nothing beats the current and freshness of the North near Speyside.

The big-time operators (such as they are) in Speyside (North) are Blue Waters Inn (AquaMarine), Speyside Inn (Extra Divers) and Manta Lodge (Tobago Dive Experience).

On the South end, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dive-op along Pigeon Point. It is cruise ship heaven, kind of like 6-Flags over Shacks. I wouldn't stay or try diving out of any town anywhere else, like in the middle of the island. DO NOT believe that you will have ease of access to Speyside diving by staying in Pigeon Point. It's either one or the other.

Tobago is one of the few islands I would recommend picking up a rental jeep at the airport and keep it for the week. The roads are some of the best for an island, considering the very hilly terrain. Not for the average idiot driver, they seem to drive with the wheel on the right and the shifter on the left. :hm: The attractive spots are somewhat far-flung. We like staying at the Blue Waters Inn and eating elsewhere, just because of the island time speed that they operate on.

Nemo,
I'd stay where you are or go to st vincent for macro viewing. tobago is my favorite island along with Bequia. But I go now to Bonaire mostly for the diving. Tobago is a great island but its as much about above ground for me. the diving is lot more dramatic there. Too much for me personally.
So if its about diving stay where you are if its also about other stuff I loved my time on Tobago--friendly people etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom