Tobermory Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jchoby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy from a chilly Dayton, OH

Has anybody done a live aboard trip with the Dawnlight crew out of Tobermory? If so how was the diving & conditions on board. I'm on tap to put together a trip for our group...any insight would be helpful.

Cheers & Happy Holidays.

vr

JC

Jchoby:
Howdy from a chilly Dayton, OH

Has anybody done a live aboard trip with the Dawnlight crew out of Tobermory? If so how was the diving & conditions on board. I'm on tap to put together a trip for our group...any insight would be helpful.

Cheers & Happy Holidays.

vr

JC

Here is one Dawnlight thread

Here is a link to Ray's website and the Dawnlight itself.

It's a great trip! Ray the owner is a straight shooter and good guy. I don't know how many spaces he has left for next year I know we had our deposit in a while ago.

It'll be my third trip and I am looking forward to it.

Hope this helps.

I an able to arrange a trip for 8 people - Civic Holiday weekend - 2004 for 4 days. This is an excellent trip - I was fortunate to do the live-a-board for the first time last year - Good Food - Great Diving.

Hi JC.

One of the good things about diving the Dawnlight is you can customize your own trip. Do some research into the many sites available and choose the trip you want. I had the chance to dive from the Dawnlight this past Labour day long weekend (extended long weekend). My LDS and dive buddies have been raving about the "Northwind trip" for the past two years so this year I signed up. The Northwind wreck is more of a technical dive trip and I am not sure as to the type of diving you want to do so I wont talk too much about the wreck here. I will say that the Northwind is now one of my favourite wrecks to dive. Our trip focused on diving the Northwind exclusively. We spent several days moored over the wreck site. On our return trip and our last dive we stopped off at an island off of Tobermory and dove a site known as "Dufferin Wall. This wall drops off to over 300 feet. The best part of this trip was the diving.....as it should be!

Now, as for the Dawnlight. The tug is clean, cozy, and had adequate room for your personal gear..ie clothes and toiletries. We didnt have a full boat so the few empty berths became luggage compartments. There was plenty of room for gear even for all of our doubles and deco bottles. Theres plenty of room to gear up and entry and exits were simple. There are lines strung above the gear up area to hang your wet/dry suits. Air fills are easily done for you and o2 and Nitrox is available. So far everything sounds great. There were a few negatives. The food was ok. Not great but ok. There is a new cook on board and the cuisine was not as good as previous trips guests reported. There were a few side dishes that almost nobody ate. But hey...were there for the diving. Right!? Also , a few of the guests had a problem with Rays attitude (the captain). At times it felt like we were un-invited, troublesome guests on HIS boat. Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day or something. Im hoping this is not how he is all the time. Paying customers like to feel like welcome customers and at times some of us didn't.
Overall though the trip was a great DIVING experience. Accomodations were good and the diving was excellent. Would I do it again??? Most definately. I think next Labour day long weekend.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom