Tokina 11-16mm question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lens on my Nikon D5100 for a couple dive trips with great results. Two trips ago, I found the Iris vanes would stick open on a dive, resulting in over exposure. Same thing happened when I tried it on land. If I bumped the camera, the vanes would close. I sent it for repair and they said the vanes were sticking and they repaired it. I had used the lens since then for some night sky shots - wide open aperture - with no problems but no diving due to Covid restrictions. I took it on a recent trip and found it was sticking again, both underwater and on land. When I remove the lens and worked the iris control arm, I get no sticking. Tried it on two D5100s. Has anyone seen this happen with this lens? I hate to put any more money into it if I can't be sure it works correctly.

fwiw, I got the Nikon 10-24mm to replace the Tokina. The Tokina is one stop faster so I may still use it for low light/night photos.

Glad you found a suitable replacement. Tokina lenses are usually well built though.

P.S they are called aperture blades, not iris vanes :wink:

One bonus I found with the Nikon 10-24, The Ikelite zoom ring works on it, so I can zoom underwater. Will be diving again next June so I will post results.

Back
Top Bottom