Tokina 12-17 lens for Canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Most of what you say, I agree with, except for the IQ part. I make lots of 16x20 prints and we have done the following experiment for a class. Take a scene in the studio. Shoot it with a variety of cameras and lenses, print the pics from the cameras as well as we know how and put the pics up for folks (not just the class) to look at. You can see the differences between the high end DSLR (Canon MkIII) etc and the full frame D300, 5DMKII and the cropped sensors and even more so with the P&S (even ones with lots of pixels). We haven't run the S90 but have run the G10 and G11. At 5x7 sizes there is not much apparent difference but at larger sizes, you begin to notice.
I am with you on a simple DSLR but for me at least, I just set up the camera in manual mode, with autofocus (I can't see well enough for manual focus underwater). As for liveview, I think it is terribly evil, but that's just me. My 5D is pretty splash proof and I have used it in all types of weather except snow.
Now a leica underwater might be interesting, but I am not sure how the rangefinder bit would work.
Bill

There is no reason for a range finder anymore, what I mean is either a digital amphibious Nikonos format or the EVIL format.

I love the LCD view on the compacts, refuse to do without it. I am spoiled with that. I do like a little VF for use on the surface when in very bright locations like snow or a beach etc.

Range finders have been housed, many of the classic photos were taken with them. I had one when I was a teen and used it until I got a Nikonos. I do not want a RF, I want an EVIL like this:

Will Dr. EVIL knock on Nikon's door? (Nikon EVIL camera recap) | Nikon Rumors

Someday I might scan all of my slides and B&W images, I have thousands, many are underwater, yeah, I shot B&W underwater and developed my own prints on a Bessler which I just sold on Craigs List for 100 dollars, in fact, I am waiting for the new owner to pick it up now. Maybe in my next life.

The dSLRs, sure, you can set them to manual but you still have to push buttons to change shutter speed and f stop--I don't get it? It is very unnatural to me. I am not going to pay that much money for a party camera that cannot live in the real world and I have to push buttons to do basic functions.

Anyways, we way off subject but I guess the poor OP got answered so it doesn't matter.

N <---stubborn beyond belief

The dSLRs, sure, you can set them to manual but you still have to push buttons to change shutter speed and f stop--I don't get it? It is very unnatural to me. I am not going to pay that much money for a party camera that cannot live in the real world and I have to push buttons to do basic functions.

I don't know what SLRs you are using, but on my canon cameras in the Subal housing, I turn knobs for shutter and f stop. No buttons involved.
Bill

I don't know what SLRs you are using, but on my canon cameras in the Subal housing, I turn knobs for shutter and f stop. No buttons involved.
Bill

The T1i.

There is a command dial that has to be redirected via button pushes to allow f stop and shutter. This is the control that would get stuck in a mode and not release. Perhaps the camera was defective and Canon forgot to install the knobs for shutter and f stop and that is why it would get stuck, :idk:. It would also get into the Live Mode and I could not get it back out but by turning it off. :idk:.

If I have to carry the instructional manual with me to do what I used to do with the lens F stop ring and body top shutter knob on a Nikon film slr, I won't be buying one. But I kept the Tokina lens in the event that somebody at Canon gets it right.

It is not like I have never owned a SLR, I have had a numerous Nikon F, FE, FM, Minolta SRT, Canon and Olympus OM SLR cameras. Look, you like dSLRs, I don't and I no longer am in love with the SLR concept like I was years ago, I respect your opinions, and this is mine. I don't care for the way dSLRs work (too many buttons and complicated programs), the mirror system is outdated and noisy, they cost to much for what you get and the housings cost to much to invest in a system in that is obsolete before it gets unpacked and they are too big and bulky especially when it comes to travel. Then outside they cannot get wet, or cold, or get dropped or operate at this temperature or that temperature. Simply my opinion and always open to adjustment. That is why I am keeping the lens because there is always hope :) that Canon will build a simple, armored, minimal SLR but it will probably be an EVIL with a noise app that makes a fake mirror slap so you guys can feel satisfied when the shutter button is pushed. :eyebrow:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31649/sony-alpha-dslr-compact-concept

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom