Tonight's Catch - Sixgill Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boydski:
Hi Bob,

The largest Sixgill ever recorderd off our coast was about 16' long. I wrote an article about Sixgills earlier this year, and although I ran across the 20' length during my research for the article, I could find no scientific reference to support it. Not that I could actually tell the difference between a 16' and a 20' shark mind you. :wink:

The only effective way to tell the sex of the shark is to look for claspers, or bite marks near the gills (the males bite the females as part of mating), but you knew that. All the Sixgills I've seen so far have been female.

Wow boydski, thanks for the great post. That video clip was exceelent!

boydski:
Hi Bob,

The largest Sixgill ever recorderd off our coast was about 16' long. I wrote an article about Sixgills earlier this year, and although I ran across the 20' length during my research for the article, I could find no scientific reference to support it. Not that I could actually tell the difference between a 16' and a 20' shark mind you. :wink:

The only effective way to tell the sex of the shark is to look for claspers, or bite marks near the gills (the males bite the females as part of mating), but you knew that. All the Sixgills I've seen so far have been female.

Nice story and a great dive for you at Owens Beach. My video segment is much darker. No strobe and only my trusty light cannon. Thanks for a great article!:cheers:

DeepDog:
Nice story and a great dive for you at Owens Beach. My video segment is much darker. No strobe and only my trusty light cannon. Thanks for a great article!:cheers:

Thanks guys! We were very lucky at Owen's Beach, we were able to go back and find the sharks again on our second dive 2 weeks later. This was a good thing, as the Video Camera worked great on the first dive, but the still camera was "mis-behavin". On the second dive, no Video, but the still camera worked like a champ. I'm just glad that my regulators don't use batteries or we'd be in serious trouble!

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL - I've only had three six-gill sightings this year ... two at Redondo and one at the I-beams ... :D
Oh, brother. EVERY time I've dived with the other Bob (Bob L.), he either tells me about the six-gill he saw at the place we're diving the day before, or he emails me that he saw one there the next day.
Personally, I don't think they really exist. Yeah, I saw the six-gill (wink, wink), right next to the snipe fish...

Rick Inman:
Oh, brother. EVERY time I've dived with the other Bob (Bob L.), he either tells me about the six-gill he saw at the place we're diving the day before, or he emails me that he saw one there the next day.
Personally, I don't think they really exist. Yeah, I saw the six-gill (wink, wink), right next to the snipe fish...
That's exactly what I was hearing and thinking BS. I heard about them all the time. Isn't it interesting how no one ever has a camera with them when they see these guys. Now if I could just fit a few more lights in the 'ol bc pockets. :D

Last night I was pretty happy to see a Grunt Sculpin. I kind of feel bad for them when I see those little guys. Kind of like the spiny lump sucker flailing away with those tiny fins.

DeepDog:
That's exactly what I was hearing and thinking BS. I heard about them all the time. Isn't it interesting how no one ever has a camera with them when they see these guys. Now if I could just fit a few more lights in the 'ol bc pockets. :D

I had my video camera last night when we saw a 10 to 12 footer in Tacoma near Ruston Way by the old Asarco site

Check it out:
http://archive.streamaudio.com/darren/Asarco6gill512.wmv

for slow connections:
http://archive.streamaudio.com/darren/Asarco6gill150.wmv

Harle, liked the video. Good viz especially for a night shot.

Harle:
I had my video camera last night when we saw a 10 to 12 footer in Tacoma near Ruston Way by the old Asarco site
Nicely done. Pretty good vis too. That looks like it was a great dive. :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.:cheers:

I got a short video segment but one light wouldn't do it. I think I'll get a second cannon and lash them together.:D

DeepDog

I was inquiring about the sixgills for Eli with Sharkdiver magizine. What is the best time of year to try to find them and has anybody thought of baiting them. I know they come into the shallow water to feed. I appreciate any insight.

Spring/summer is typically the best time to see them, but I did see one a couple of weeks ago at 3 Tree North and also one in February.

The frequency of sightings do seem to be drastically higher during the spring/summer though.

As far as baiting, I know of some divers baiting them (aside from the Seattle Aquarium which does as well) and I was also told, second hand, that those divers left the water as the sharks were getting very aggressive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom