too big? 120, 130 larger What is a good size.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2400 is a short fill in a LP tank here! We regularly fill them to 3600+.

I have seen this type of comment fairly regularly here.

No place that I have been diving will fill above a + rating on purpose.

I have had a couple of fills to 2800, but that was more accident on the shop than normal procedure.

I have had problems getting full fills on my LP tanks. Offen it is a 2400 - 2500 fill so I try to fill my own to about 3000 so they cool to about 2640.
i actually had an instructor tell me that they could not fill them past 2400 even if they had the plus rating.

Interesting. . Info. Seems almost like a crime that they make a lp tank but rate its size at the + rating. So if you ever lose the plus or end up at a lds that didn't understand the ratings you loose out on fills.

So do most dive with lp or hp. Or does it really matter. I'm a typical gear head more is better so I lean towards hp 130 vs lp. But I would rather have a real reason vs bigger better attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree it does seem like a crime. I dive a HP in Los Angeles. If you can't get cave fills, there is really not much point to l.p.. Even an underfill on a hp tank still is pretty good. A 3k fill on a steel 100 gives you 87 c.f. which is more than you get in an AL 80 and is a significantly smaller tank dimensionally than a l.p. 95 with close to the same amount of air. Divegearexpress.com has a good explanation.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

If you're in the Seattle area, let's get together at Alki some time and see what we can identify to improve.
If you don't take Lynne up on this your will be missing a GREAT opportunity.

I have HP100's and HP130's. For most of my dives with single tanks I use the HP130's. Rarely do I get even close min gas. In a drysuit with a big tank 80 minute dives are routine. I personally don't find the extra weight of the HP130 a big deal, and I am 5'10" 165lbs.

Interesting. . Info. Seems almost like a crime that they make a lp tank but rate its size at the + rating. So if you ever lose the plus or end up at a lds that didn't understand the ratings you loose out on fills.

So do most dive with lp or hp. Or does it really matter. I'm a typical gear head more is better so I lean towards hp 130 vs lp. But I would rather have a real reason vs bigger better attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Remember that an AL80 is the same way. 80cf at 3300 more or less.

Pressure needed to get 80 ft3 from a tank (the ones I have anyway):

psi.jpg

Pressure needed to get 80 ft3 from a tank (the ones I have anyway):

View attachment 182477

The bottom three are all listed12.2 l yet the first of those lists a higher pressure to make 80 cu ft. Surely some mistake?

Btw, what is it with these LP tanks? Are they physically lighter than similar water capacity HP ones?

Here (UK) we commonly use steel 10l, 12l and 15l at 232 bar and less commonly 10l and 12l at 300 bar. Getting a good 300 bar (4500 psi) fill is hard though. The 300s are very negative

Not being thin I still need a bit of lead with any if the 232s in a 3mm shortie. This leaves me missing the point of the LP cylinders. Why do people buy them?

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom