Too many fins, which ones would you keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Less than a year ago I only had one pair of fins, one BCD, one regulator etc. Now I have 4 BCD's, 7 pairs of fins, 5 reg sets, several drysuits and a bit pile of wetsuits. I don't know how this happened. I think it's time to downsize!

My diving is split primarily between tropical diving in warm water, and mostly tethered cold water drysuit diving in poor visibility as part of a volunteer PSD team. Here's what I have (click the fin for a photo):

1. Mares Plana Avanti. Never used
2. Mares Plana Avanti Quattro ABS. Never used
3. IST Talaria Split fin. Used frequently
4. IST Rocket/Jet type fin. Never used
5. Apollo Bio Fin Pro. Never used
6. Scubapro Twin Jet. Used once.
7. Aeris Accel travel fin. Used once in cold water and didn't work well. Used in warm water.

Thoughts:

I like the Aeris for travel, and am pretty committed to keeping those, but they didn't work well for the local diving.

I've mostly used the Talaria, as the other fins seem to have appeared after those one did, and I never really had the time to try the others out as most of my recent dives have been training and I didn't want to do it with untested fins. Also, the Talaria's have spring straps and the others don't. Whatever ones I choose will get spring straps.

For those that have use a variety of fins, which of these would you keep if you didn't have space to keep them all?

Ted

If you are happy with the splits, why change? Figure out what you need from a fin. If all you need is a medium/low speed flutter and occasional frog kick then you are covered with the splits. if need to helicopter, backfin, and mostly frogkick, then a paddle fin like the Avantis are better suited. I used to have a pair of Atomic splits and I loved them up until I had to start backfinning regularly for the UW photography hobby I took up. I use DiveRite EXPs now and likely will never go back. Doesn't mean I don't like splits - they are very easy on the legs, but they just don't meet my needs for a neutral fin that can do all the kicks. I got to where I was able to backfin in splits - it was more work than it needed to be. If you are diving dry, I'm surprised you've have not tried ScubaPro Jets just for that extra bit of negative buoyancy. I'm foot heavy - maybe you're not. You'll need to work with any fins for more then a few dives to to really get the feel for them.

If you are happy with the splits, why change? Figure out what you need from a fin. If all you need is a medium/low speed flutter and occasional frog kick then you are covered with the splits. if need to helicopter, backfin, and mostly frogkick, then a paddle fin like the Avantis are better suited. I used to have a pair of Atomic splits and I loved them up until I had to start backfinning regularly for the UW photography hobby I took up. I use DiveRite EXPs now and likely will never go back. Doesn't mean I don't like splits - they are very easy on the legs, but they just don't meet my needs for a neutral fin that can do all the kicks. I got to where I was able to backfin in splits - it was more work than it needed to be. If you are diving dry, I'm surprised you've have not tried ScubaPro Jets just for that extra bit of negative buoyancy. I'm foot heavy - maybe you're not. You'll need to work with any fins for more then a few dives to to really get the feel for them.

The IST Jet fin is a copy of Scubapro Jets I believe, looks the same anyway. I should try them I guess, I just really don't care for the straps they came with. If I decide I like them I will get springs. As for foot buoyancy, the Talaria's are actually the heaviest of the bunch!

By some folk's standards, you're actually dangerously under equipped and short on gear!

"Some folk" might not be married . . . :)

In all fairness my wife hasn't complained at all, but I know that this status isn't sustainable if I don't do something soon!

you asked so i'll answer.

I would ditch ALL of the split fins
Keep the Avanti Quattros as they are great all purpose fins
Keep the Jet Fins if they are negative because they are the best thing for drysuit diving
If you want to keep the travel fins, then keep them, but the quattros will work fine for that if they aren't too big for the bag you carry. Unlikely, but possible.

Clearly I need to try out the Jets. I'll do that the next time I get a chance!

I'll have to try out the Quattros again, it's been a long time.

"Some folk" might not be married . . . :)

In all fairness my wife hasn't complained at all, but I know that this status isn't sustainable if I don't do something soon!

Lol...no s#!t. The only thing that keeps me from buying more gear is my wife killing me. I think she already has a knife picked out :p

Back
Top Bottom