Too old and soft for a Blackbeard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God Blackbeards is a blast. I really hate that Airtran stopped flying to Freeport and airfare is no longer cheap. :crying: I am mid-30's, not a big party animal, but the drunk naked people were really funny.
We did 4-5 dives a day, don't know how you can call that boring. The diving was excellent, the fool good and plentiful, the crew and most passengers were great, the bunks were fine. FWIW I had a double bunk to myself in the galley, just bring ear plugs.
It is camping at sea, but if it means that I can do 2 or 3 vacations a year vs. 1 then sign me up. They do put up the sun shade when they are not sailing so you can get out of the sun. Bring a little cushion to sit on, I spent my time between dives dozing or reading on the deck. Nobody drinks until they are done diving for the day, but most people are really tired and have one drink, socialize after the night dive, then go to bed. The one exception is port night and everyone cuts loose a little, but no one cares if you choose not to.
IMHO Blackbeard's is an experience not to be missed!

We did the Bahamas on Nekton's Northwest itinerary a couple of years ago. It was a really nice trip. The diving was great.

If we were going to the Bahamas again we'd be looking at the Juliet and the AquaCat. Both are more expensive than the Nekton but I would guess they both offer a more luxurious experience.

Last year we had an unfortunate outing aboard the Caribbean Explorer II, Turks & Caicos, resulting in a fight with their ownership so they've been X'd off our list for life. However, it is a nice boat with a good crew and pricing is up there with the Cat.

Liveaboard diving in the Bahamas is quite nice.

I did a BB trip in 1995 when I was in my mid 30's and really enjoyed it. Now that I'm 47 with bursitis in my hips, not having a comfortable place to sit, and only the hard deck to recline (other than my rack) would not be a pleasant experience.

And watching the young'uns do the drinking and mooning of passing sailboats got real old, real fast.

I too, can afford better now, and plan it that way.

I'm 62 and have been on several trips and on those trips most of the customers were over 40. They have a awning up most of the time other than when sailing. The bunks are confortable but not private. You will get more comfort from Aqua Cat or Nekton, but will also pay twice as much. Blackbeard's & Nekton seemed to be diving the same sites on one of my trips.

I am in my mid-40's and did a BB trip this year. The boat is small, can be a rough ride during the crossing to Bimini, the are no lounge chairs or comfortable seats for that matter, no privacy, almost no storage for personal items, you share the crapper in a 2' X 2' room - trying to pee while the boat is rocking is no fun and hoping the wet stuff you are standing barefoot in is from someone who just got back from a dive rather than having bad aim. Food choices are limited and there is always at least one person you want to vote off the island.

Having said that - I had the time of my life. Great diving and lots of it, the food though limited was awesome (we were fortunate to have the chef from the Aquacat that week), got in lots of freediving, fishing (with a line) and by spear, and met alot of great people. The trip is an adventure. If you want comfort it is not for you. If your the type who can go with the flow and find the fun in the experience it won't let you down. At the end of the day you will be too tired from all the fun to worry about quarters, lack of privacy, etc.

I am not a big partier but everyone in our group was responsible with their consumption so it was not an issue. Besides the Kalik beer they serve is one shade of yellow from water anyway.

In short, for the price it can't be beat. I will be doing it again soon. If you enjoy camping and adventure it might work for you. If you want to be pampered and are the type who can only sleep in a Hotel when away from home you should look elsewhere.

'bob

Well, I've read the posts on here as a matter of interest. No, I'll say I did the Nekton last year at the age of 60. The boat isn't the Taj Mahal. It's not supposed to be. It's a dive boat. But it is comfortable, with rooms larger than I would have thought. There's the dining area and lounge on the second deck along wiht a couple rooms and the galley.

The upper deck is for the hot tub and outdoor lounges. Quite roomy now that I think of it. It was really nice laying on a lounge in the evening, after the night dive, having a beer and looking at the thousands of stars.

The food was just a hair short of incredible. Don't plan on losing any weight on board this boat. Snacks between dives, lunch, dinner.

If you want to save some money then book one of their off season trips for about $1600. Media Reef is getting excellent reviews. I want to do it myself---again.

Take my advice. If you've never done a live-aboard but want to then start with the Nekton. You could do a lot worse, but it'll give you something to compare all others to. For the money it's an excellent value. Trust me.

Well, I've read the posts on here as a matter of interest. No, I'll say I did the Nekton last year at the age of 60. The boat isn't the Taj Mahal. It's not supposed to be. It's a dive boat. But it is comfortable, with rooms larger than I would have thought. There's the dining area and lounge on the second deck along wiht a couple rooms and the galley.

The upper deck is for the hot tub and outdoor lounges. Quite roomy now that I think of it. It was really nice laying on a lounge in the evening, after the night dive, having a beer and looking at the thousands of stars.

The food was just a hair short of incredible. Don't plan on losing any weight on board this boat. Snacks between dives, lunch, dinner.

If you want to save some money then book one of their off season trips for about $1600. Media Reef is getting excellent reviews. I want to do it myself---again.

Take my advice. If you've never done a live-aboard but want to then start with the Nekton. You could do a lot worse, but it'll give you something to compare all others to. For the money it's an excellent value. Trust me.

I agree with you in every respect. That's where we started. Our first two liveaboard trips were aboard the Nekton Pilot. Belize then Bahamas. If we do them again, we plan to one day, I like it be aboard the Rorqual. I think?

Thanks, everyone.

You may have seen my post in another thread about the Nekton trip to Mona Island. I decided to go with that trip in early December. The list price is $1,695, less a $600 promotion. It sounds like an unbeatable deal and I'm looking forward to it.

Ron

Hey Ron,
I am 64 and went on an Aggressor cruise to Fiji. Don't know about BB, but I my liveaboard experience was nice.
Valerie

Thanks, everyone.

You may have seen my post in another thread about the Nekton trip to Mona Island. I decided to go with that trip in early December. The list price is $1,695, less a $600 promotion. It sounds like an unbeatable deal and I'm looking forward to it.

Ron

This seems like an excellent deal. Where is the promotion listed? Is it only for the Mona Island trip or are they offering it on other December trips too?

Back
Top Bottom