Tooth pain before diving certification tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cek88

New
Reaction score
I have been experiencing some toothache and went to a dentist recently. He says it looks like my 20-yr old filling (silvery color) is affecting the nerve and the nerve is dying. He said the filling could have microscopic cracks that introduced bacteria to the nerve area. I have a dull pain in that tooth that has been coming and going for the past month and a half. I'm sensitive to hot and cold foods in that area (lower molar, 2nd from end) and tapping. He said it looks like I need a root canal and crown. But I have my diving certification this weekend and will be diving for the first time on Saturday (tomorrow)! I am experiencing some dull pain in my mouth right now, but since I've already planned the dive and sunk money into it, I would like to go. Any advise about what I can do to have the best dive possible under the circumstances?

I'm a newbie to diving and this is my first post to the board. Any advise is appreciated, especially from Dr. Stein or any other dentist-divers on the board. Thanks!

I would go for it. Unless you experience some unbearable pain while in the water, just stick with it. Maybe some ambesol (sp?) would help the pain, or an asprin.

Ibuprophen like Advil seems to do the best in relieveing that sort of stuff. I had some sensitive teeth and had the same concern about doing some of the regulator R&R exerceises, it wasn't even noticed at the time.

Welcome to the board and the sport. Have fun & safe dives.

Pete

cek88:
I have been experiencing some toothache and went to a dentist recently. He says it looks like my 20-yr old filling (silvery color) is affecting the nerve and the nerve is dying. He said the filling could have microscopic cracks that introduced bacteria to the nerve area. I have a dull pain in that tooth that has been coming and going for the past month and a half. I'm sensitive to hot and cold foods in that area (lower molar, 2nd from end) and tapping. He said it looks like I need a root canal and crown. But I have my diving certification this weekend and will be diving for the first time on Saturday (tomorrow)! I am experiencing some dull pain in my mouth right now, but since I've already planned the dive and sunk money into it, I would like to go. Any advise about what I can do to have the best dive possible under the circumstances?

I'm a newbie to diving and this is my first post to the board. Any advise is appreciated, especially from Dr. Stein or any other dentist-divers on the board. Thanks!

You might want to call your DDS and see if he wants you to start taking antibiotics. It would be untimely to have swelling and an abscess before or during.

Been there just this past Monday. Had a root canal which puts a damper on diving for a few days. Dove last night without pain for the first time in a long time. Make sure you have a good dentist take care of your tooth. I'd put the root canal off as long as poss.

Mitchell:
Ever have one? Do it on a Monday so you can dive by Thursday

I wasn't a diver at the time but I've been in for them twice. it didn't live up to the legend. That or I had either a great doctor or an easy case each time. They seem to have come a long ways since the sit-com days. Get it done. The tooth will be even weaker so plan to go straight for the crown or bridge based on my experience.

By the way, depending on your coverage dive gear may seem cheap by the end ot it all!

Pete

I agree with "spectrum", Ibuprofen (Motrin) is the way to go for teeth related pain.

I hade a bad tooth during my OW dives. I forgot to take my Motrin but that was ok because I guess I forgot to have my tooth ache too.

Go dive, It beats sitting on the couch with a tooth ache. :D

cek88:

Hi cek88,

You describe symptoms that are consistent with a partially necrotic nerve. While it may not be abscessed at this point, it will likely do so in the near future. Root canal therapy is indicated in a tooth that is hot/cold/percussion(tapping) sensitive.

Will this tooth hurt you during your dive...possibly although there are lots of people who are probably diving with dead nerves in their teeth and don't know it yet. While tooth pain during your dive is possible, the likelyhood is probably low. That being said, if at all possible, you should get the root canal treatement completed before diving. If you must dive with a complete root canal or a partially completed root canal, make sure that the canals are completely filled...either with the traditional gutta percha in the completed case or with some calcium hydroxide paste. While it is usual practice to place a cotton pellet in the chamber between treatments and following the final fill, If you must dive, have the dentist place a solid temporary or permanent filling in the chamber and NO COTTON pellet.

This is to avoid the small air space surrounding the cotton and a potential source of failure during a dive.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Laurence Stein, DDs

Back
Top Bottom