Top 10 wreck dives in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are operators standing by to take your calls.
But wait! There's more! Act now and we'll throw in one of these snorkel keepers--a $9.95 value if bought separately--FREE!! But you have to act now!! :D

Not a problem that it's an artificial reef, not a wreck. That the USS Oriskany is on the lists really says something. Word up, y'all need to dive this ship. It's big, it's awesome and it's accessible; without traveling half way around the world to get there. It's within a 1-2 day drive from the majority of the eastern US population and there are operators standing by to take your calls. Come on down, we'll be happy to have y'all aboard. It really is a great dive and well worth the trip.

Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

I didn't mean to imply that the O, or any other artificial reefs for that matter, are not fun dives. I love the Duane, Speigel Grove etc... But we cannot deny thay are sanitized versions of the real thing. To me it is kind of like going through a safari park/zoo....the lion is still freakin dangerous and wants to eat ya (Heck, sometimes people are hurt in zoos), the trip is a ton of fun, but it ain't a real safari in Africa.

My first marriage and wife....Oh :rofl3:............shoulda performed a CESA from the start:D

as for me the nicest wreck is the next one!

We have over 50 wrecks in our tiny 12nm of territorial sea, most of them uncharted and rarely dived, if ever.

They are both just lists of good wrecks that are easily accessible to the masses and dived by merely ringing up a dive centre and jumping on a boat - nothing wrong in that, but it clearly isn't going to give a list of the worlds 'best' wrecks - though I would put the Markgraf on my list to be fair - the Thistlegorm is pretty, but there's many nicer less crowded wrecks around.

Agreed, the lists are mostly nice compilations of very tourist-friendly easily accessable wrecks with impressive scenery.

Lists like that are understandable, given the target market of the rags, but claiming to list top 10 wreck dives without a mention of the Baltic with intact wrecks dating from hundreds of years, and the wreck paradise of Narvik is just ignorance... :D

//LN

I would say the worlds first purpose built aircraft carrier (HMS Hermes) would be up there with some of the best. Apart from being one of three carrier wrecks that can be dived the Hermes was sunk in action during WWII with the loss of 304 lives. Thats something the Orinsky and Saratoga cant match. Seeing bomb damage and anti aircraft shells scattered on the seabed adds something to the experience. Combined with outstanding marine life its an amazing dive. Only issue is getting to it as its off the beaten path so many divers dont even know it exists.

I was lucky enough to dive the Thistlegorm as a night dive Xmas eve 2003, just me and my buddy, no other divers on it. Still access that memory when I´me having a less then perfect day. I would also put the Dresden class light cruiser Koln above the Markgraf as it didn´t turn turtle on the way down, and is still pretty intact.

Wrecks are personaly subjective and a top ten will be different whoever you ask, very like cave systems, which is where I do most of my diving now as I´m living in sunny Mexico. Wrecks round here are pretty poor to say the least but the caves are out of this world. still do find myself drifting off to some wreck dive in the the English channel in 2 ft vis though, you can only have so much unlimited vis.

No Andrea Doria?? No Impress of Ireland?? What about the Britannic?? I know these are heavy tech dives but how can all three be left off the list.

I was lucky enough to dive the Thistlegorm as a night dive Xmas eve 2003, just me and my buddy, no other divers on it. Still access that memory when I´me having a less then perfect day. I would also put the Dresden class light cruiser Koln above the Markgraf as it didn´t turn turtle on the way down, and is still pretty intact.

Wrecks are personaly subjective and a top ten will be different whoever you ask, very like cave systems, which is where I do most of my diving now as I´m living in sunny Mexico. Wrecks round here are pretty poor to say the least but the caves are out of this world. still do find myself drifting off to some wreck dive in the the English channel in 2 ft vis though, you can only have so much unlimited vis.

Thats where the subjective bit comes in, my daughter would agree wholeheartedly with you that the Koln is the better wreck - the bridge is very bonny. However, a wee wander under the main gun turrets round the back, or into the 'shed of dread' and the Markgraf wins hands down - no contest :) ! - But then if I was only ever going to dive Scapa once I'd recommend the Koln, the latter being so huge is takes several dives just to orientate yourself on it - which illustrates that no 2 divers are ever going to agree on the same list.
Not sure I would pine for 1m vis though I wouldn't particularly count stupendous visibility as something I would require on a wreck to make it good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom