Touch signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks D33p, I've actually read the Blueprnit for Survival. Have a copy somewhere at home.

Thanks for the kudos too.

I haven't decided between NACD or NSS-CDS. I'll let that fall into place depending on what agency the instructor I choose belongs to. I'd rather choose by instructor.

The thing about pointing a light at the side of your buddy's mask - I've never ever done that with my HID. For one thing, I don't need to as the light spot with my HID is very distinct even in daylight. With my Scout in low vis, though, it's another story. An instructor I know showed me about that thing. Not sure if I really like it or not, and I'll always try "my-light-spot-beside-yours" first. Flashing or flicking my buddy's mask is for me pretty much a last resort, and is only one step before physically grabbing him for his attention.

FreeFloat:
Flashing or flicking my buddy's mask is for me pretty much a last resort, and is only one step before physically grabbing him for his attention.

Which is one step short of me invoking regla número uno on said diver. ;-)

I definately daylight dive with divers to ensure I like the quality of their attention and then take the aware ones only into night or overhead situation. As you know a night dive here on something like the Munson might as well be somewhere deep in a cave. It's pitch.

Gappy divers as I like to call them (unresponsive staring types) make me nervous and I hate a sketchy dive so once is enough with them. In the highly unlikely event that something goes wrong and I need a hand I really want a buddy that is aware of me and my situation and vice versa.

With regards to your scout. If you are down to a scout you are now the diver at the front of the line ahead of the high powered lights and your well trained buddy is keeping a VERY good eye on you to make sure you get out/up in one piece so getting lost in the glare so to speak is no longer an issue. This goes back to the equal powered lights. Reorganizing the dive around equipment failures is something you'll also learn during your overhead training.

By the time you are in the night or overhead situation you are no longer there with gappy divers and therefore don't need to flash your light in your buddies face. :wink:

There is a couple of books available for you to read regarding communications. Cave Diving Blue Print for Survival by Sheck Exley and another
Cave Diving Communications by Joe Prosser and H V Grey.

d33ps1x:
By the time you are in the night or overhead situation you are no longer there with gappy divers and therefore don't need to flash your light in your buddies face.

Unless, of course, you're part of an "advanced" class and the divers are scattered all-over-the-place pissing you off and ignoring you.

Have you ever seen me flash a light at or on another diver.

You know that I know as well as you how to direct the beam of my light, and other than on a diver's body or mask.

I've had a certain instructor get my attention - more than one - by flashing the corner of my mask with his HID.

But you can't really 'rule#1' a whole class..........

FreeFloat:
Have you ever seen me flash a light at or on another diver.QUOTE]

I remember a dive where you flashed your light in mine and another girls eyes because you had to call the dive and i also had you continuosly shinning your light in my eyes the whole way up the line. And i wasnt even your buddy. so yes.

So...with the light there´s only:
-"I´m ok"
-"Need your attention"
-"Still here"
?

It just seems like, if soldiers can make up a whole battle plan and distribute tasks with handsignals, we should be able to come up with more than three signs for the light...

Lately I´ve been thinking about the "small-talk" aspect of divesigns and how there really aren´t any...wouldn´t it be fun if you could sign: "lets fin-ski down this pebble slope" or something equally silly without your buddy getting curious about how you could have nitrogen narcosis at 30 feet or think that you need to go to the toilet?

Also if there are any other "serious" light signs or touch signals that someone uses I´d really like to know about those too...

Oh and Wendy:
And make sure you have proper training if you are going to be doing any penetration in a wreck as it is an overhead just like a cave.
I have had training thru IANTD but thanks for your concern

grazie42:
So...with the light there´s only:
-"I´m ok"
-"Need your attention"
-"Still here"
?

It just seems like, if soldiers can make up a whole battle plan and distribute tasks with handsignals, we should be able to come up with more than three signs for the light...

Lately I´ve been thinking about the "small-talk" aspect of divesigns and how there really aren´t any...wouldn´t it be fun if you could sign: "lets fin-ski down this pebble slope" or something equally silly without your buddy getting curious about how you could have nitrogen narcosis at 30 feet or think that you need to go to the toilet?

Also if there are any other "serious" light signs or touch signals that someone uses I´d really like to know about those too...

Oh and Wendy:

I have had training thru IANTD but thanks for your concern

Ahh, a swedish troll!

Now there is something you don't see everyday!

grazie42:

Simplicity is a beautiful thing. We don't want the cave or wreck to be confused for a swedish battlefield or worse yet a rave now do we. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom