Tough Year for Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... is drysuits. Gotta try them on before you buy them.

However I just broke my rule on my new used suit.

I figure that the rich folks just starting out diving can pay their dues keeping the LDS in business. I will buy stuff from them as it fits my needs but I can't at this point be the one to keep them afloat.... I already have two or three (or four) of everything.

So much for Scubaboard. Phaa. I took the advise (DennisS) and bought the DiveRite Etherfill, which was delivered proptly and in good order.
However, I cannot get the damn thing to work properly. I have managed to get a 230 bar EAN32 fill so far, but I have not been able to download any Helium. I contacted DiveRite (who were, in fairness helpful) and they suggest it is because my Ethernet 10/100 cabling is CAT4 not CAT5. They suggest FDDI.
It seems that there are problems with Helium over CAT4 cabling, something that does not affect EAN downloading.
I would like to complain that following your recommendations I have now a device that requires me to update all my hardware.

DO YOU WORK FOR MICROSOFT OR WHAT !!!!

What a waste of $12.00

Chris.

Divereh to reply to your hum humor!!
First let me see I don’t know you and first if I meet you with that attitude in the shop I would turn around and leave period!!
I am sorry you having hard time we all are every wear!!
Second you have to blame the shops for not getting on the manufactures for not making it more of a point to not sell there gear ON LINE, BOTTOM LINE MOST EVERY WEAR ARE GOING TO BUY WEAR THEY GET THE BEST DEAL,
Most of use more experience divers service our own equipment, allot of use have our own compressors ECT with that saying you have to make us need you and need the prices wear we can make them compatible!!

It has been a tough year world wide for most economies, including the U.S. and Canada. People have cut back on discretionary spending, to include recreational diving. There is no reason to blame on-line shopping.

For the really big, expensive purchases, like drysuits and dive computers, on-line shopping may be the wave of the future. For most other diving gear, people will still need to try things on first before they buy. [The reason I do not believe you need to try on a drysuit is because you would normally have yourself measured and then submit the measurements to the seller or manufacturer for an optimally sized suit. That of course presumes that you know what you want, which you found out from watching your buddies or instructors dive.]

Tank fills and instruction are still the best bargains you can get at a dive shop. Oddly, these particular products have been discounted as loss leaders almost everywhere, to bring customers in for gear.

Maybe that will finally start changing?

IndigoBlue once bubbled...
The reason I do not believe you need to try on a drysuit is because you would normally have yourself measured and then submit the measurements to the seller or manufacturer for an optimally sized suit.
are you speaking from experience on this or do you suppose it would be the case that a drysuit ordered online from self-measurements would fit?

The reason I ask is because I know of cases where the suit did not fit and the customer had no recourse since they were the one who took the measurements.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
are you speaking from experience on this or do you suppose it would be the case that a drysuit ordered online from self-measurements would fit?

The reason I ask is because I know of cases where the suit did not fit and the customer had no recourse since they were the one who took the measurements.

Yes, Sir, this is how I got my own drysuit. My suit fits perfectly, and I have loved it since the day it arrived, 6 weeks after I ordered it. [The down-side was the long wait.]

When I went into the local dive shops, they all wanted to push a DUI suit onto me. One owner of one store even tried for about a half hour to convince me that DUI has the best concept around, in their folding mid-line, for perfect suit fit. Instead of buckling to the sales pitch, I spent about a month checking out what everyone else was wearing. When I saw what I wanted, I had to catalog-order it through a dive shop that was a dealer in that particular brand (clue: it was not DUI !)

The store owner took my measurements, and we ordered a standard sized suit, based on the ordering chart.

Although I did indeed use a dive shop to place my order, I can easily imagine industrious internet geeks working though the measurement process themselves with someone else's help, like mom or sis, and then placing their purchase on-line.

Since drysuits and dive computers are the highest priced items on a diver's list, which do not require annual maintenance like regs do, that is why I foresee drysuits and computers being a natural for on-line buying.

I also learned several huge lessons about buying drysuits:

1) store owners are drooling to sell these expensive items

2) store owners will try really hard to push onto you their own inventories of dry suits, even if you don't particularly like their brands, whether they fit you or not, and whether the style or material suits you or not

3) DUI has some kind of propogandized corner on the market for drysuits which is undeserved.

On-line shopping for a drysuit circumvents each of these perils nicely. If you Do It Right.

Having said all that, and answered your question, I did not mean to hijack the thread onto drysuits away from the economy as it affects dive shop success.

All of the local dive shops in my area are suffering from the economy. Two have closed down. Everyone is hurting, compared to a couple of years ago. Blaming on-line shopping is a bazaar false-cause association that I would label akin to paranoia. However, when you have a dive shop, and you start to lose it, that hurts, and paranoia is common, in that case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom