Tour of the Sea Horse farm in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai:
Gently translated Mo'o is dragon, Lio is horse, Kai is sea. It doesn't take a leap of faith to find the connection. In english a Mustang is a type of horse and a type of car, but try to translate that into Marshalleze and you get some sort of jumbled mess. Perhaps Mo'olio means !/2 horse and 1/2 dragon? That sounds like a sea horse.

cool beans :D thanks for the translation :wink:

chepar:
I've seen seahorses for sale at a shop here - specializing in fish, so I guess not really a "pet" store. I wonder if this farm is where they got them from.
Good question. BTW, what do you mean when you say "not really a pet store"?

LioKai:
Good question. BTW, what do you mean when you say "not really a pet store"?

Meaning that they sell things meant only for aquariums. I guess people with aquariums would consider the fish pets - but I was trying to draw a distinctionn between a store that sells pets of both the furry and aquatic variety vs. this store, which specializes in and sells only the aquatic variety.

A pretty good variety, BTW - a good selection of reef fish besides the seahorses. In the same vein as the sea horse farm, I wonder if there are operations that breed these reef fish. Otherwise I suppose they've got someone taking them off the reefs.

I've also previously seen seahorses for sale at a shop or two. Until now, I only knew of clownfish being raised for the aquarium trade. Places like the the Oceanic Institute also breed moi, mahimahi, shrimp, and some other foodfish for commercial farms to raise to maturity.

I'm divided over the sale of fish for aquariums whether farmed or taken wild. On one hand, it's great to introduce people to such animals and maybe get them interested and involved. On the other, there's the problems of overharvesting from the wild and what to do when the animals can no longer be kept. When I had aquariums, I would only use local fish so that releasing them back would be no problem. I used only handnets to catch them (except once with a bucket while out on a dinner date with my future wife but that's another story); no barrier nets, traps, drugs (illegal here), slurp guns (which don't work all that well anyway) and was very selective, taking only fish that I knew were compatible, hardy, and adaptable enough to thrive in an aquarium.

It sounds like OceanRider's marketing strategy strikes a good balance.

Back
Top Bottom