Tourist lost - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you know that is not what we did

Because I can see it in your profile you posted

There are dive shops or DM's that have great profiles for that dive and then there are others that can find the entrance and exit to that cave.

Because I can see it in your profile you posted

There are dive shops or DM's that have great profiles for that dive and then there are others that can find the entrance and exit to that cave.

What you see is that everyone was low on gas but me and the jump across to the sand left them sucking empty tanks about the time two eagle rays came by.

Have you done the Cathedral and the Throat?

What you see is that everyone was low on gas but me and the jump across to the sand left them sucking empty tanks about the time two eagle rays came by.

You need to dive with an operator more matched to your abilities

You need to dive with an operator more matched to your abilities
I rarely post, but you and ChuckP are taking this thread so far off course. Heck, we are all divers. No one asked for feedback on the dive profiles he posted. Knowing that ChuckP works on island, this really turns me, and probably others, off from diving with him.

I rarely post, but you and ChuckP are taking this thread so far off course. Heck, we are all divers. No one asked for feedback on the dive profiles he posted. Knowing that ChuckP works on island, this really turns me, and probably others, off from diving with him.
Or, makes you think that his operation knows a reasonable profile on this site. A very short dive on Devil's Throat would not be acceptable to me. I would feel cheated as an experienced diver

Or, makes you think that his operation knows a reasonable profile on this site. A very short dive on Devil's Throat would not be acceptable to me. I would feel cheated as an experienced diver
Fine, what at all does that have to do with this thread?

Yes, I prefer doing all of Punta Sur at one time slowly, two tanks and a deco bottle but that isn't for everyone. The different entrance and exits to Cathedral, how about the Throat backwards, swim into the dark instead of towards the light........

To many give and takes if just diving Cathedral or Throat. Hard to start at the begining and really do a great dive and then end at Cathedral especially on air. Everything is rushed and you don't get to see the vastness.

Because of the depth and size, add in some maybe not the best planning, people generally come back with a lower opinion of that site......

Aldora/Memo has some dive, I forget what he calls it, I did it with Liang one time - start at the beginning and do Cathedral and Throat on 32%, his big tanks - swim your ass off and see almost nothing. I guess you can say you did it but I always prefer to go slow.

I think this all goes along the lines of there are plain old DM's here and then there are very experienced DM's here. There is much more with the experience then just swimming around - heck, I've seen DM's here that can't load a boat and logically arrange where people are sitting.

Crazy currents can happen here, not often but they can. I can almost exactly see what Nemrod experienced in that down current - I was in the water the next day at San Clemente and you could see little whirlpools / eddys all over the place. The currents were crazy all week. I don't know what went on in his boat before they got in the water but we seen it on the surface on the way out to dive sites - we altered our plans because of that, we put ourselves in an area that was safer, dove a different way so that we had a bottom.

His dive profile is an excellent example of that happening and of that happening at the worst moment in a dive - BCD defalted, "low" on air but with a bottom under you and being aware of it before you even get in the water, not so much of a concern. It's the awareness and talking about it on the boat before you even put your fins on.

It is my fault, not theirs. The off track began with me posting two profiles. The Throat profile is pretty typical of tourist dives on the deeper reefs and swim throughs. The other profile showed one of the down currents that can be very strong at times. Deeper dives, in excess of 100 feet, and considering most vacation recreational divers may dive only a few times a year or only once, and then the strong down currents that do occur along the wall (and other places) can catch even experienced divers off guard. That was my only point, the rest of it I regret. I take responsibilty for the mess, chatize me. In defense of most all Cozumel diver operations, they are professional and genuinely like to give their guests a good experience and are not going to lose their divers. Such things happen rarely, not just in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom