Townsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
jackconnick submitted a new blog post

Part 2: Choosing an Underwater Camera Housing

buyer-guide-4.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at that illustrious institution...So...

She should join the JCU dive club. They run a number of trips every semester on a private charter boat for liveaboard trips out to the GBR and Yongala. The dive club can provide any additional training she may need to dive the Yongala as well (due to depth, they require you to do the deep dive part of the Advanced Open Water if you've not already got it).

Secondly...the local dive shops? I have not had particularly good experiences with either of them. Remote Area Dive runs day or overnight camping trips up to Pelorus and Orpheus Islands a couple of hours drive north of Townsville. My experience with that trip leaves much to be desired. They have also screwed me around multiple times with gear repairs. Adrenalin Dive is the only other dive op in Townsville. They have a day trip boat which alternately goes to the GBR or the Yongala depending on which day of the week it is. These trips are regularly cancelled due to passenger numbers and weather conditions. They are very unreliable as an operator in this context, which is why I don't recommend them unless you're a local and have a lot of time up your sleeve to account for 6 weeks straight of cancelled Yongala trips. They also contract the private charter boat on an ad hoc basis for combo GBR/Yongala liveaboard trips (JCU runs it cheaper though).

As it's difficult to get by around here without a car (though not impossible), most of us would drive ourselves down to Alva Beach and head out to the Yongala with Yongala Dive. Admittedly it's a 2 hour drive south of Townsville, but it's a well run dive op and they rarely cancel trips.

There aren't really any dive sites in Townsville itself. The military owns most of the land around here, so access is problematic. There's a couple of dive sites on Magnetic Island (a 20'ish minute ferry ride from town) if you have your own gear. You can get tank fills over there if you go for the weekend though.

Last edited:
Hi WetPup,

Many thanks, sent you a PM

If your still looking try welcome to nquec its a small local club with affiliations with some of the local charter operators. They tend to keep there membership fee's down so its not to expensive and where possible everyone helps out to reduce the cost of diving. I believe that they meet on the first Tuesday of each month at the Motor Boat Club in South Townsville.

Very friendly group of people

Ummm...That website hasn't been updated in years by the looks of it, and you seem to be uncertain as to when and where they even meet. Are you a member?

Thanks for the updates everyone.

My daughter just informed that she now has her boat licence, hope she is not planing to buy one though :wink:

She has managed to have some really nice dives on the GBR last weekend though and already a member of the JCU dive club.

Ummm...That website hasn't been updated in years by the looks of it, and you seem to be uncertain as to when and where they even meet. Are you a member?

Yep, spoke to a member not that long ago, due to Covid & the venue where meetings are held changing its operating hours, purely due to the drop in tourism & the cost of staff v's patronage the club has moved its meetings to Thursday....... If you turned up or contacted the club you would have got this information.

@Underwater John

You realise this thread is about six years old :wink: 🤣

Back
Top Bottom