Traffic in Hawaii is RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The preverbial end of the road and during summer I get stressed by the traffic there too.

With all due respect to everybody...If you find these things really getting your goat, you need a new strategy and it might will be mental, on your part.

cause you will not change the world, the traffic, the people on cell phones, etc.

When I feed being "wound up too tight" by getting agitated and angry, you have to at some point ask yourself if you are enjoying this on some level. It is not a good way to cope with the stressors in life.

I have to agree that Honolulu has some of the worst traffic congestion I have ever encountered in North America.
And in all fairness, you chose the worst drive to the west side for diving when you were staying in Waikiki. (Does anybody here know of a single worse route? I'd love to hear it) Do you think locals would recommend that? I wouldn't tell anybody to put themselves through that on vacation. But if you choose the worst route possible, during the toughest hours, you are going to be impressed with the traffic.

If you like the operator out there, then that is a good reason to choose to make the drive. But it's funny to hear you whine about "paradise".

Yes, there are two sides to every coin and if you snowbunnies had it so wonderful where ever you came from, then why come?

Trust me, I would never come visit Alaska and complain about the fashion, the food, the cold.

If you get invested in this community and want to help solve the problem, that is different. But you were part of the traffic "problem" those days, and you chose your route.

I deal with it by avoiding it. I have spent too much of my life in traffic already. No more. Thus no real job downtown.

catherine96821:
When I feed being "wound up too tight" by getting agitated and angry, you have to at some point ask yourself if you are enjoying this on some level. It is not a good way to cope with the stressors in life.

I have to admit I like living here, but in some way the traffic here affects everyone everyday. It helps me in my decisions on when to go to the grocery store, drive to see family and even what hours I want to work. No matter what I choose I alway hit some type of traffic somewhere.

And the only other worse route than from town to the west side from 4pm-8pm is going to town from the west side at around 0530-0900... TERRIBLE!

SKTIDH:
It helps me in my decisions on when to go to the grocery store, drive to see family and even what hours I want to work.

Yeah...planning is half the game. If I should get stuck in traffic - I try and make the best of it. Have music in the car I like, anything to make time go by faster.

I didn't find the driving on Oahu to be too bad at all, though it was a bit congested at times. I think Portland, Oregon is far worse to drive in. I'd rather drive the LA Grapevine during rush hour than Portland.

I deal with traffic-related stress by listening to audiobooks. They are wonderful for taking your mind off your frustrations.

Thats what K does too, audio books.
In a few years from now the only traffic jam I will have to worry about is congested harbors in exotic locations.

Wildcard:
I deal with it by avoiding it. I have spent too much of my life in traffic already. No more. Thus no real job downtown.

Yep, I'm with you. I do my best to avoid traffic whenever I can. But, sometimes a person just can't and still live. There are only so many roads that go where you either need to, or want to, go. There is a limit to the inventiveness a person can exercise when trying to find alternate routes.

In this whole discussion I'm reminded of as similar conversation in Florida about Friday night traffic on the interstate and the tollway. No one got defensive. No one took it personal. Instead they joined the lament and said they were doing something about the problem. Quite a contrast to some of the posts in this thread.

Hey, I'm one of those folks who bring money. In fact over the years I've been thawing out in HI I have gained a great deal of respect for the skill with which the folks there take my money and send me away happy. But, the traffic problem has gotten to the point that my family and friends are seriously considering going somewhere else.

SKTIDH:
OK... first of all... this is a place of opinion. I'm just stating what I see... and as far as I know that's allowed.

The whole thing I'm getting at in my last post is that people always say it's so great to live in Hawaii, but you have to be willing to pay the price and some of us that moved here didn't have a choice. My parents moved back so that's why I'm here.

It's different than living in Florida or anywhere on the mainland. It's an opinion and I'm not sorry if you didn't seem to like it.

Uh yeah..this is a place of opinion as I was obviously just stating mine, and what I see. Im with yah :wink:

I suppose my last post was just the opposite. It seems like a total given for these realities to exist when you live in a place like Hawaii. Its not at all shocking nor bothersome to me. If you didn't have a choice to move here, then thats too bad. I guess I would feel that same way if someone forced me to move somewhere...i'd be a bit touchy.

SKTIDH:
Anyone else that thinks people in Hawaii complaining about traffic are whiners then why don't you get a 9-5 job and live on the opposite side of the island from your work.

I do and I have. I really think its all based on attitude, not location.

Back
Top Bottom