Transpac Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max, lets's see if this helps. I put my rig on yesterday and found the valves out or reach. I could touch them, but was unable to do drills. In the water, they are right where I want them.

I have my bolts located in the lower holes of the Transpac, you might need to use the top. Try it out and move things around. If the valves are still too low when in the water, try losening the crotch strap and tighten up the shoulders. Hope this helps. Enjoy your Transpac, it's a fine piece of gear.

Hey Max, I just realized my mistake in the last post. I actually attach the transpac to my tanks using the top grommets. I use the lower holes of my backplates. This puts the shoulder straps in the same position relative to the tanks.

Now that I've dug it out of the closet, I think I'll use it this weekend.

Attachments

• Lift bag 008.jpg
    Lift bag 008.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Lift bag 012.jpg
    Lift bag 012.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 107
I didnt know that a backplate could go on the Transpac. Can you tell me where you got yours?
Did you have to modify anything to use the plate?

You shouldn't need a back plate. I use the transpac with stabilising plates for double AL95's and it works great. I needed to get in the pool and adjust my bands up and down until I found the right height for valve access. The guys are right 1/2" can make a big difference so try little bit at a time. But you've probably sorted it by now as this thread is aging now.
You can however use a single tank adapter plate with your transpac to save retheading your cam bands when you change from doubles to singles.

I think he is showing one of each. The first image is the transpac which he attaches using the top holes in the pack. He must also have a hard backplate (2nd image) that he attaches using middle holes to acheive same height. Confused me at 1st too. Has certainly confused Anony. 2 x completely different set ups. Again you only need the small stabilising plates to dive doubles with a Transpac. This is designed to give you the comfort of a soft pack with the same performance as a hard backplate. I dive with guys who use Transplates and others who use Transpacs for doubles. For me its Transpac all the way. It really is only personal preference that seperates them.

No it's not...

Multiple dives using a TransPac with double 108's before I moved to a steel plate; too include slinging two 40's. Although not as stable IMO as a plate, it does the job if that's all you have. Nothing cheesy about the TP at all as reflected by it's price.

Take the information given on these forums for what they are worth.

Kenny

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I havn't looked at this thread in a while. Mattyo is right on. I showed a picture of two different rigs (Transpac on the left, backplate on the right ), set up on the same tanks. I was trying to illustrate the difference of mounting holes, but obviously did a poor job of it.

Hey Max,

Hopefully you've gotten some ideas from other divers in this thread. Tank bands can be adjusted according to diver size. I am petite, so I have to move my tank bands as high up on the tank as possible...if not the manifold sits too high and pushes me head down in the water. It is a bit of a stretch to reach my valves, but I am trim in the water. A trick often used is to lower your head a bit so the tanks slide forward underwater and make the valves closer to your reach. Conversely, Taller divers may want the bands a few inches below the tank shoulder.

In either case, I would start by trying out your doubles as-is in the water, floating horizontally and see if you can reach the valves. If not, try moving your TransPac as suggested by using the top grommets vs. the middle or bottom ones. If that doesn't work, try moving the bands a bit until you get a good balance between reaching valves and trim in the water. It can be a bit of a process to sort it all out in the beginning.

Hopefully you have a tech instructor who can provide hands-on guidance, too.

Hope this helps. BTW, Lamar is filming a video that will be on our website about banding up doubles later this month. We should have it live by Dec.

Best,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom