transpac II wing sizes debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, I am seriously looking into the trek wings at this point. After reading some of the excellent posts here and some of the articles you included. I think I may have been to enthusiastic and purchased the big wings just because I could. I am still listening though.

It actually sounds like Travel wings would suit you just fine. Why should you need more lift than Travel wings at this point in your dive career?

cheers,
Michael

mdr231 once bubbled...
It actually sounds like Travel wings would suit you just fine. Why should you need more lift than Travel wings at this point in your dive career?

cheers,
Michael

Milwaukee.

It's cold there. Lots of exposure protection = lots of weight = a possibly very heavy BC = need more than 30 lbs of lift :)

I don't think that the Rec wings create any kind of a serious drag problem. That kind of thinking comes from some seriously obsessed persons.

As compared to the Travel wing, air management of the Rec wing will be somewhat more difficult. This is because the travel wing has a rectangular aircell. Air can nove across the bottom as well as the top.

At the moment I have only the travel wing and am very happy with it. As I dive with anywhere from zero to 13 pounds of weight, depending on suit(s) and fresh/salt water, I do not need any more than the 30 pound capacity of the travel wing.

I'm very happy with my TP2 with dual recs, but I wouldn't use it with a single tank. It's just way more than you'll need, and that will make bouyancy control tougher, especially as a new diver. The drag issue is really only a factor of how much you expand them, and if you weight properly, they wouldn't need much inflation with a singe tank. I find they handle al80 doubles and a pair of 40cft ponys just fine. I also dive a ScubaPro Ladyhawk for recreational dives, and with it's 34# of lift, I can still dive a steel 108 with a 13cft pony attatched, so the smaller wing on your TP2 would be the best place to begin, add a Rec wing later on when you're ready to advance your dive level. And without out touching the whole DIR argument thing, Enjoy your new TP2, it's a comfortable rig with plenty of user choices.

Darlene

I have the Trek. I had the same thoughts you did. Alot of people bought the Rec. I figured for Duals I would buy a Classic. The Trek with a Single is nice.

Rec was larger then I needed and the Trek can be used with duals also. Classic to me is a duals only..

Also, the Trek is the one they use when converting to Side Mounts If you so choose at a later date. I don't do side mounts.

But now I'm bad. I use my BP and wings for duals. I prefer it. Some don't...

I've had it for around 3-4 years. The TP2 that is.

I went through a similar decision not long ago and decided on a Travel wing. It really does depend on you type of diving/exp prot/weighting etc. The travel wing will be good enough for me for the near future,

I reckon the decision is really a financial one, if you exepct to be able to afford another wing at the point to move to doubles etc then get a singles wing now and a doubles wing then.

Having said that the single/doubles wings are still popular and do work v well for both set-ups, so what ever you choose it would be good just a question of what is better for the period/ environments you want to use it in.

have fun with whatever you choose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom