Transplate as comfortable as Transpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelsung

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning to buy a transpac because of its weight distribution qualities. Due to a bulging disc in my back, I need a harness that places more weight on my hips and less on my shoulders when I'm not in the water. However, I would prefer to use a s/s backplate to minimize the need for additional weights & to counterbalance the buoyancy of my drysuit.

My question is: will the transplate distribute weight to my hips as effectively as the transpac? Just looking at the two harnesses the transpac looks like it would carry weight on the hips better, as the straps along the waist are much wider and have significantly more padding.

Thanks!

I have a transplate and I find it depends on how tight I can get the waist belt. As for discomfort, I find it sometimes digs into my lower back on long shore entries. Could just be me though.

Hi,

The TransPac and Transplate will both distribute the weight of the rig evenly across hips/back/shoulders and alleviate the pull against the shoulders that you get from a standard harness.

The distribution has to do with the use of the chest strap and the unique side plates that connect the shoulder straps to the waist belt. You will be able to play with the positioning of these side plates (always keep them directly under the armpit or further back) to see what works best for you in terms of weight distribution.

The padding on the TransPac waist band is for comfort and some people even remove the pads (such as myself), so they are optional and will not affect weight distribution.

Best,
Kathleen

Maybe it's me but when I don my Transpac, it reminds me of the feel of my rucksack with the bulk of the weight on my hip while my Transplate feels like it carries the weight higher on the back and shoulder.

Pelsung, you can probably hunt up some of these discontinued harness weights and attach them to your Transpac for trim. SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Harness Weight

I use the 2-lbs/ea units (4-lbs total for both sides) on my Transpac. Or find some sort of ankle weights and then attack them to your Transpac with some sort of quick link SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Quick Links

You might want to consider side mount as an option. I know several people with back issues who switched and they love it.

You might want to consider side mount as an option. I know several people with back issues who switched and they love it.

I've been thinking about the sidemount option too because my back ain't all that great nowadays either. Getting too old and too fat.

I've been thinking about the sidemount option too because my back ain't all that great nowadays either. Getting too old and too fat.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'll ever put myself in the category of "too old." That's when your family starts taking you out shopping for a small plot of land to call your own!:D

Narrator: And now, back to the thread....

I'm seriously looking at the sidemount as well.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'll ever put myself in the category of "too old." That's when your family starts taking you out shopping for a small plot of land to call your own!:D

Narrator: And now, back to the thread....

I'm seriously looking at the sidemount as well.

After seeing more divers rigging sidemount than doubles on a trip to Ginnie Springs a while back, my husband, MegaMikey, made the switch. He got the Nomad rig and is loving it.

LOL Im neither yet but after a weekend of toting heavy doubles up and down hills in Florida cave country makes me a little jealous of those in sidemount. If I had back problems I would definately be in sidemount even if I didnt normally dive doubles.

I have both the TransPlate and the TransPac. I hike the cliffs of the rugged NorCal coast. My TransPlate has a lumbar pad, but I do not think that I need it. It fits like my hiking backpack with the waist belt getting the weight off my shoulders and the chest strap getting the shoulder straps in the correct position for hiking. The bulk of the weight is on my hips not my shoulders.

I do prefer a padded waist belt of the TransPac though.

But the TransPlate may be the way to go. When properly adjusted, the TransPlate with tank is one solid unit and does not sway when hiking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom