Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the information! At least I now know what kind of batteries they are. I think it's only lithium that can't be packed in checked baggage because of the fire danger. I also sent my questions to TSA and to Ikelite. I have read up on travel advisories etc. to Indonesia and understand that N. Sulawesi, Manado area are not currently experiencing any human violence. After our recent tidal wave scare here in Hawaii, and the horrible one in Indonesia a few years back, I think I worry more about that. Again, thanks!

You might ask the cave divers how they take their lights on a plane.

One time they took My small box of spare o-rings
Nothing I could do about that one.
They once took a small fishing weight off my safety buoy because it was lead!

Has anyone had a problem with having a bcd in the carryon? Will the TSA check if any water is still in the bladder?

Has anyone had a problem with having a bcd in the carryon? Will the TSA check if any water is still in the bladder?
I've not heard of any difficulties, but you wouldn't want a splashing sound emitting from it.

One question about checkin luggage. Is it okay to leave batteries in the flashlights (princeton or ikelite backup lights)

Travel with your torches open.

One question about checkin luggage. Is it okay to leave batteries in the flashlights (princeton or ikelite backup lights)

No for several reasons...
Can resemble bombs on x-rays;

Can accidentally turn on in transit, heat surrounding clothes, and start a fire - TSA doesn't have time to decide if they are Led lights, etc.

The weight of the batteries can damage your lights in baggage handling at best.​
I carry a small Led light in my backpack ready to use in an emergency, but remove batteries from anything checked.

TSA also has regulations on how to pack batteries for safety. See their site.

I've not had any trouble with strobes in the past. Take the batteries out and you should be fine. So many times the local TSA people will try to make their own call. Just smile and start talking about how excited you are about your vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom