Travel Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link in imorin's post didn't work for me, but I found a 2005 table here:

Scubaboard's antispam policies prevent me, as a new poster, from posting the url. Here's an effort to circumvent:

www(dot)
scubadiving(dot)
com(slash)
files(slash)
old(slash)
images(slash)
pdf(slash)
200510_scubalab(dot)
pdf

What those tables and articles from Scuba Diving Magazine tell me is that Apollo and the other top rated companies probably spend a LOT of money advertising in the magazine and not much else. I would try to borrow different types from your shop or dive buddies and evaluate for yourself.

I just got back from a trip to Little Cayman using Mares Avanti Superchannel full foot fins for the first time. We bought them to replace Atomic Open Heel Split fins due to weight and size considerations for luggage. For starters, they were much lighter than the Atomics and much smaller to pack, especially when you consider that you don't need booties either. I really liked the Atomics and always felt fast in them, but I have to say I felt like the Avanti Superchannels might actually accelerate faster and have a comparable top speed. What I really liked was that the Superchannels were much easier to frog kick and to scull backwards in. I felt much more maneuverable in them.

I went down there a little hesitant about using a full foot fin, and came back a believer. If I am diving colder water, shore diving, or in rougher water, I still want the booties and open heel fins. But in warm relatively calm water boat diving, the full foot fin was definitely the way to go and my wife and I were both very happy with the Avanti Superchannels.

That was my experience as well, only substitute the splits that you left at home for SP Jets.

If you like Jets you'll probably be happy with Slipstreams. Light, and very maneuverable.

The right choice for travel and most any dive I have been on is the Force Fin Pros. They are small and lightweight, so they are very easy to pack. Performance wise, they outperform anything I have tried. I retired my Atomic splits as soon as i tried the Force Fins. Worth every penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom