Question Travel Packing List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't been to Fiji. When I travel, some things I didn't notice on the list above:

1.) Lycra socks or similar to prevent chafed sores on your feet.

2.) Bandaids in case you get them anyway.

3.) Pseudofed 24-hour (so it doesn't wear off while I'm down) to aid equalization (a controversial practice, plus it's illegal in some places like Mexico), Flonase and Claritin.

4.) I also take Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Imodium (to shut down diarrhea), pill form of what amounts to generic Pepto Bismol, triple antibiotic ointment (for the abrasions, etc...), and I like to take at least one antibiotic prescription in case I get bronchitis or similar.

5.) Swimmers ear drops, and use about ever 3 dives or so as a preventative (wait till you're treating infection and it burns!).

6.) Please make that sunscreen a reef-safe product.

7.) Any chance you'll room with a snorer? Ear plugs might come in handy.

So basically I am to have on hand any medications I'm credibly likely to want. People who get occasional UTIs may want Azo.

Again, I have never been to Fiji. Many popular dive settings are in areas with limited (or no) access to much in terms of even over-the-counter medications.

I just made a basic Excel list years ago and just edit it as needed. In case anyone wants a simple free and editable homade Excel checklist, here's it is from my last trip to Bon in May..

Attachments

• Tropical Check List - Bonaire 2023.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 75
Haven't been to Fiji. When I travel, some things I didn't notice on the list above:

1.) Lycra socks or similar to prevent chafed sores on your feet.

2.) Bandaids in case you get them anyway.

3.) Pseudofed 24-hour (so it doesn't wear off while I'm down) to aid equalization (a controversial practice, plus it's illegal in some places like Mexico), Flonase and Claritin.

4.) I also take Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Imodium (to shut down diarrhea), pill form of what amounts to generic Pepto Bismol, triple antibiotic ointment (for the abrasions, etc...), and I like to take at least one antibiotic prescription in case I get bronchitis or similar.

5.) Swimmers ear drops, and use about ever 3 dives or so as a preventative (wait till you're treating infection and it burns!).

6.) Please make that sunscreen a reef-safe product.

7.) Any chance you'll room with a snorer? Ear plugs might come in handy.

So basically I am to have on hand any medications I'm credibly likely to want. People who get occasional UTIs may want Azo.

Again, I have never been to Fiji. Many popular dive settings are in areas with limited (or no) access to much in terms of even over-the-counter medications.
Thanks! You're right better safe than sorry when we travel in areas that have limited resources!

I'm going to Fiji in March and just returned from Raja Ampat last month, so it's fresh in my mind what I need for a remote destination. I have a high-quality filter water bottle, a LifeStraw. I don't know where you're staying, but be careful not to drink the rainwater if your hotel doesn't filter it. If it's not filtered, you should drink with your own filtration system. Standing rainwater in open containers sitting outside becomes rancid and full of bacteria. I can't figure out why the resorts tell me it's safe to drink unfiltered rainwater. Fiji has their own source of fresh drinking water, yet, the resorts don't provide it.

Don't forget the mosquito repellent, especially if your hotel doesn't have A/C, and hydrocortisone cream for bite relief.

Rehydration tablets in case diarrhea or vomiting is really bad. You'll need electrolyte replacement.

If you like soda, stop at a local market and buy some. The hotels charge $3-$5 USD per can. And might as well buy some bottled water to get you started!

Bring or buy your favorite snacks before reaching the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom