Traveling and TMx BO Gas when traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhylandmd

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

Apologies for the simple question. I am NOT yet an RB diver, but very interested. I am curious how you all manage renting TMx bailout gas when traveling and doing RB dives. Do shops you rent from offer a credit back on unused gas? Are there “standard” TMX BO gasses that you can rent and tailor your dive around and return unused or partially used for for credit?

Regards,

Jeff

Usually pay for the custom mixes, and just pay again if needs to refill, but it may vary according to location

I ask for what I want based on the planned dives. I have never received a "credit" back for unused BOs. I still have a gas bill anyway for the dil, O2, and suit gas (although air for suit gas is often just thrown in for free).

I ask for what I want based on the planned dives. I have never received a "credit" back for unused BOs. I still have a gas bill anyway for the dil, O2, and suit gas (although air for suit gas is often just thrown in for free).

By way of example, say you travel and do 2 days of RB diving where the profile/plan requires you to carry two AL80s for BO with TMx 18/45 . For sake of argument, say He is $3 /cu-ft. Doing the math ( 77 x2 x 0.45 x 3 ) the Helium bill alone on that mix is $207.90 . Assuming you haven‘t used the bail out , do you just eat the cost and return the unused gas? Eating that cost would seem to be more “palatable” over a week or so of diving, but seems fairly steep for a day or two. Maybe that cost is “marginal“ as it relates to RB diving, or it just is the “price“ of traveling with a RB.

Thanks for the replies!

J

By way of example, say you travel and do 2 days of RB diving where the profile/plan requires you to carry two AL80s for BO with TMx 18/45 . For sake of argument, say He is $3 /cu-ft. Doing the math ( 77 x2 x 0.45 x 3 ) the Helium bill alone on that mix is $207.90 . Assuming you haven‘t used the bail out , do you just eat the cost and return the unused gas? Eating that cost would seem to be more “palatable” over a week or so of diving, but seems fairly steep for a day or two. Maybe that cost is “marginal“ as it relates to RB diving, or it just is the “price“ of traveling with a RB.

Thanks for the replies!

J
The above is how it works last time I was on the Truk Master for Bikini. On the other hand, some places have bought unused sorb from me or charged for what was used + some intermediate premium. Very location dependent.

If you only do one dive, it will cost similar to do it in OC -- never found anybody giving credit back for unused bailout gas.

Thanks for the replies!

J
Why are you renting cylinders for a two day trip? If it's that short of a trip it better be close by cause I am driving not flying. If I am flying, I'm not hauling a CCR for 2 days of diving.

Otherwise, yes it's the price of diving. There are a few places that offer credit back on unused gas but it's rare.

Cave County dive shop in Florida has a great TMx BO renting policy. You pay a regular price $10 per tank per day and only pay for mix if you've used it up.
Indeed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom