Traveling in storm season is risky, as they learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never heard of anyone going to Chuck for one day. Hard to imagine that no one from their group bothered to check the weather. A terrible situation. If a plane costs $200K to get them out, how about taking them out by boat?

Chuuk was not hit by the typhoon. The airport in Guam was flooded and damaged, meaning no United Airlines flights could land or take off. People all through Micronesia were effected by a week-long suspension of flights to the area.

So, it'd be a 1500 mile boat ride to Manila to escape before Guam reopens? Various news stories say that the runways were okay but the terminal was flooded and trashed along with facilities around the airport. United has flown some humanitarian flights with cargo. Reports differ on reopening between the 30th and the 3rd.

And this didn't help: Former Korean Air Guam Manager Charged With Bank Fraud

Would trip Rescue insurance cover an evacuation, if you run out of your prescribed meds ? I would think so. Sounds like none of those folks had it or they would have been picked up by now.

Very glad they’re safe, and I hope they’re out by now. We are in PNG, and were on the liveaboard Oceania when Mawar was gathering force. Although the typhoon was ~1000 miles north of the Bismarck Sea, we had moderate wind and higher-than-expected seas (meaning, 2-3’ swells), and we understand that the Febrina, which was to our north in the Witu Islands, had quite a rocky day and night as the storm drew energy from the region. Walindi Resort had very high winds overnight. Once the typhoon started to move northwesterly, things returned to normal—it’s the doldrums here, and the sea is a mirror—although visibility was below normal at many sites for the duration; it still is. I showed a drop of about two degrees Fahrenheit in a two-day period. An impressive demonstration of the extended impact of a massive storm even here; I can’t really imagine being in its path.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom