traveling with a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I just came back from a trip to florida in January. Flew down from Newark Airport in New Jersey.

My buddy and I checked our knives and such in the main luggage. I didn't know about declaring them and will do so in the future (thanks).

My buddy, carrying his laptop and some books and stuff had no problem at the security checkpoint.

I got the royal 3rd degree at the scanner though as I had my 2 dive computers, his 2 computers and a pair of HID light cannons in my carry-on backpack... It was fun watching the faces of the people looking at the x-ray screen.

Whispered between the security people: "hey, look at this. What? Oh, what's that? I dunno..."

Spoken to me: "Excuse me sir. Is this your bag? Would you step over here please?"

Had to take everything out and show them the manuals for the computers (timing devices...) :)

They checked my sneakers and really went over my backpack with the chemical wipes as it had some white stuff on it (road salt from the snow fall a few days earlier).

It didn't bother me at all. Had a great trip and didnt even get blinked at when leaving Ft Lauderdale to come home (I assume they see a lot more dive gear than Newark).

My wife and I flew to Hawaii about three weeks after 9-11. We did have a dive knife in our checked bags, although we did not declare it (or any of our other scuba gear) to the airlines at any point.

For some reason, we evidently fit the "terrorist profile" as our tickets were flagged on all our inter-island flights to have all our bags fully checked. I don't think the women checking the bags even realized that the dive knife was a knife! At our first stop, they became upset with our plastic silverware until we pointed out that it was in our checked baggage. The really funny reaction was at our last stop when they came across the machete in our suitcase.

To make a long story short, my wife wanted to chop open a coconut to show me what they looked like inside (she grew up on Guam), so we bought the knife. We actually did find two "candidates," but ran out of time and were unable to perform the surgery, and tossed them in the back seat. Confused the guys at the airport gate who were checking cars when we went to return the rental!

Anyway, once again, since it was in the checked luggage, we were OK.

I must say that I was very upset at the prospect of having to unload our carefully-packed "scuba bag" at the airport, and was even more dismayed that the screeners really didn't do that good of a job checking it anyway. "What's under this towel?" "Oh, nothing." "Ok. " (starts repacking suitcase). If they're going to take the time to check the contents, they could at least do a thorough job.

I have to agree with the other posters that the "security measures" seem to be more aimed at making passengers feel safer than at actually preventing terrorist acts.

I have to completely agree with VTWarrenG. Everything he said is absolutely right and is utter truth.

Airport security is a flaming joke and always has been. Taking off shoes is as moronic as can possibly be. Until they start strip searching people, terrorists will now just carry weapons in their underwear.

At least the Isreali's have a better system, but this whole US response is asinine because it is a huge fraud perpetrated by jackasses and it works because most people are mindless lemmings absolutely impervious to common sense so they believe it is doing some good.

Reminds me of the anthrax hysteria. For crying out loud, more people are killed in car accidents every day than have been killed by anthrax throught the entire hsitory of the nation. The media is the one who did all the terrorizing because they engage in fearmongering for fun and profit.

For a real deterrent, just capture a perpetrator or 2, and publically torture them, then draw and quarter them on national television, send the video tapes worldwide to every screwed up care of the the NYFD and NYPD. No, instead we feed them good traditional Muslim food better than what they are used to, give them good medical care and let them know which way Mecca is for christs sake. For every American killed in NY, we should kill 1000 of them and never stop till our math works out or they are all dead, whichever kills more. They are worthless third world mutant cockroaches anyway.

You know, when Russian spies were captured in Chechnya and other areas, they were never harmed. When one was caught and killed, the Russian government found the perpetrator, killed him and his entire family. Powerful deterrent to others, because they know if they get caught, they will all die and their entire family will be killed.

And my final thoughts will echo the words spoken by a wise framer of our Constitution:

"Anyone willing to give up a liberty for a little security is worthy of neither"- Benjamin Franklin

Dave

That is quite the statment and like you i 100% agree with you.

this however is not the place to ellaborate so i will refrain from adding to your comments.

:eek:ff:

Here's what the original post was about... lets stay on track.

I was reading in the southwest diver magazine where a diver's carry on dive bag which had his dive knife in it was examined and the dive knife was taken by the airlines.

This IS a dumb idea, and always was (even before 9/11).

Including with knives.

As long as the knife goes into the plane and not on board, you shouldn't have a problem. If it is in your bags, going through the gate, it will be taken away.

I flew out of Newark about 3 weeks ago with a dive knife in my bag, going ito the plane (not carry on) and had no problem.

Ari :)

This may be a little off target but relates to carry on confiscation.

I must fit a profile because every time I go thru one of those random search lines I get randomly searched. Maybe thats why I never win in Vegas.

On a recent trip to Caymans I was searched in the Montego Bay airport. I had two packages, about 24, AA batteries. The guy searching said this was to many and took all but 6. I was of course pissed off but didn't say anything for fear of landing in jail for the rest of my life.

I suspect the guy needed a new set of batteries for his walkman.

Others in my group were also searched and had similiar number of batteries but had none taken.

Anybody else heard of similiar situation?

Ed B

Warren don't worry about pissing me off as you mentioned, my zanax finally kicked in...:)

Originally posted by CAMPER
This may be a little off target but relates to carry on confiscation.

I must fit a profile because every time I go thru one of those random search lines I get randomly searched. Maybe thats why I never win in Vegas.

On a recent trip to Caymans I was searched in the Montego Bay airport. I had two packages, about 24, AA batteries. The guy searching said this was to many and took all but 6. I was of course pissed off but didn't say anything for fear of landing in jail for the rest of my life.

I suspect the guy needed a new set of batteries for his walkman.

Others in my group were also searched and had similiar number of batteries but had none taken.

Anybody else heard of similiar situation?

Ed B

Yes, In fact I've heard that the batteries SPECIFICALLY are used at a number of customs offices around the world as a bribery medium. I was told once that if I expected to go through a particular airport without any hassle that I had to make sure I carried at least a dozen or so packs of new batteries for the customs people to "confiscate" or I would be found to have some "complications" in my paperwork and stuff.

Don't know if it is true. Haven't experienced it (I decided not to go on that trip) but you are DEFINATELY not the first person, second or even third person mentioning the battery thing to me.

Bribingly,

Spydertek

PS> If you weren't carrying the batteries as a currency form...exactly what WERE you doing with so many batteries in the first place!?!? Hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom