Traveling with Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All Major Airlines now have the same rules.
Check the applicable checked bag fee for the 1st or 2nd checked bag.

When in excess of allowed max, each item will be subject to the baggage fee for a single piece.
Allowed Max
50 lbs
62 inches

All inches are dimensional inches (length + width + height)

Thier website (scuba gear related) baggage information:

United Airlines
Continental/Delta
American Air

Our next trip, we plan to pack what we want and if it's over weight ,oh well......in fact if it's more than 10 pounds over weight I plan to make it heavy....real heavy, maybe to the next surcharge level...lets make them work for it! as for clothes on more and more trips we are looking for hotels with full laundry and packing less clothes

Not all airlines have this policy, so be sure to check with the specific carrier you will be flying with. I have yet to fly one that does and I fly several times a year to dive.

Then you have never flown Continential, that is their published luggage policy(not just scuba, also applies to ski, golf. etc)....since we are close to Houston and that's Continential's hub, it is the carrier we regularly use and thought other carriers had the same policy...sounds to me like a good reason to switch to Continential Airlines for all you scuba trips.

Then you have never flown Continential, that is their published luggage policy(not just scuba, also applies to ski, golf. etc)....since we are close to Houston and that's Continential's hub, it is the carrier we regularly use and thought other carriers had the same policy...sounds to me like a good reason to switch to Continential Airlines for all you scuba trips.

From Continental's site..... paragraph 1 seems to contradict....if your scuba-only bag exceeds the weight allowed it will be assessed the applicable excess charge....
Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge

As to switching to Continental, easier said than done. I'm at a Delta controlled hub, plus if you switch carriers for the same trip, you're zapped; if you fly to remote areas, luggage allowances are significantly more restrictive, zapped again. So saying switch to Continental for all your scuba trips is simply not feasible. Other than booking first class, which is prohibitive if you don't have miles to upgrade, most people pay the piper.

in my akona rolling bag:

2 sets of fins
2 BC's
lights & batteries (small lights)
3 masks
other light gear

total weight of the bag was 45 pounds.

my wife had a bag, a rolling type, with all clothes needed. weight well under 50 pounds.

both bags checked, no problems.

regs carried on in reg bags with computers attached.

From Continental's site..... paragraph 1 seems to contradict....if your scuba-only bag exceeds the weight allowed it will be assessed the applicable excess charge....
Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge

As to switching to Continental, easier said than done. I'm at a Delta controlled hub, plus if you switch carriers for the same trip, you're zapped; if you fly to remote areas, luggage allowances are significantly more restrictive, zapped again. So saying switch to Continental for all your scuba trips is simply not feasible. Other than booking first class, which is prohibitive if you don't have miles to upgrade, most people pay the piper.

Bummer: We are luckly to travel out of the Continental hub so we don't have that problem........understand what you mean about the perceived contradiction in paragraph 1, however as explained to us by Contnental rep that is applicable to sports bags that contain other itmes in addition to sports equipment.....as long as it is a dedicated sports bag and contains no other items, no charge for extra weight is made by Continental. It has always worked for us.

Delta just announced they are doubling the 2nd bag charge, though they have no charge for the first bag.

I take my digital camera, housing, and regs in carryon bags. Checked bags carry mask, fins, BCs, booties, wetsuits, towels, and a few clothes.

Bummer: We are luckly to travel out of the Continental hub so we don't have that problem........understand what you mean about the perceived contradiction in paragraph 1, however as explained to us by Contnental rep that is applicable to sports bags that contain other itmes in addition to sports equipment.....as long as it is a dedicated sports bag and contains no other items, no charge for extra weight is made by Continental. It has always worked for us.

So much for Continental not charging the second bag fee on scuba gear......from the Continental site.

Is sporting equipment subject to the second bag fee?
Yes, sporting equipment counts toward your baggage allowance and you would be charged a second bag service fee. If you only check your equipment, you would not be charged a second bag service fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom