Travelling with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also is it unwise to have a different dive shop work on my gear other than the one that sold it to me in the first place and does the regular servicing?

installing a second stage(which is what an octo is), takes no special tools and requires all of about 5 minutes. Get a small thing of o-ring lubricant, and your hose/second stage. I recommend you look at a hog second stage as your octo, as it may be nicer than your current primary, is easily service by you and not a shop, and is only 100$.

I wont go into the whole debate over the AAS being part of the bcd instead of an independent regulator...

I travel with all my dive gear except tanks and weights. I take everything carry-on except knives, rope/spools, and fins (the latter are just too big). I bought a small BC (Zeagle Scout) and now dive a BP&W. My personal recommendation would be that if you plan to fly to your dive sites sell the big BC and get something that packs well. I don't mean to belittle your choice of gear. My personal preference (you may not agree) is that a big BC has no utility to me and I keep my gear compact.

BCD, regs computer, prescription mask in carry-on, camera and strobes in pelican case as second carry-on. I pack clothing around the gear. Everything else in checked bag.

Will most airlines let that fly? (No pun intended)

Some definitely will. Last spring in Coz I watched a guy who misjudged the weight of his suitcase on a WestJet flight....instead of paying the surcharge, wore his BCD on to the plane and had no issues.

I put camera and computer on carryon. The rest goes checked in. Never had an issue. The reg thing seems to be an urban myth. It is just too bulky to makde an easy "lift" for an airport employee. That said I'm sure many hear have heard of someone who heard of someone who lost their favorite bathtub from their luggage. The reality is if it happens (and I'm sure sometime somewhere it has happened) it is so rare as to be silly to worry about all the time. For years I traveled with a full jacket BCD. Even took it to the red sea on a charter with very limited weight regulations. I was always able to pack everything within the restrictions (Usually dive bag stuff 50 lbs, rest 7 kilos (around 15 lbs). I don't need much besides dive gear, swimsuits and the clothes I'm wearing on a dive trip. Now I have a lighter bcd setup but that just allows me to bring more "stuff" I don't really need. Get one of those handy luggage weight devices. Take it with you. Now that is an extra that is worth carrying! It helps you diistribute weight between your luggage.

I carryon my computer, camera , regs and Spare Air (TSA regulations on the Spare Air-can't go in checked in baggage). Everything else gets checked in. If for some reason baggage was lost or delayed airline is responsible for cost of equipment rental.
The one time my baggage was delayed was skis and checked bag going from Newark to Hayden. That's why I always carry on my ski boots. Airline rented me skis till they showed up. Even rented me ski clothes and outright paid for thermal underwear that couldn't be rented for the 20 hours till my bags showed up.

First, pack the BC. It will be simpler all the way around. If you have to remove your air2 that is an easy process and you can pack that with your reg for carry on, if you feel it's worth the effort.

That said, if you decide to carry-on the BC, don't worry about it getting damaged in the overhead. These things aren't exactly fragile and they're designed for "rugged" use. Especially the jacket style BCs that are over-engineered with redundant seams, and very rugged materials. Throw it around stack stuff on top of it, and let it ride. Inspect it before you dive. The only parts you have to worry about are the plastic parts and if it's relatively new there's not even a lot of worry there. Don't drop weights directly on the plastic parts and you should be good.

For what it's worth, I've always just packed all my gear in my checked bag. The last time I flew, though, my luggage was delayed because my flight was cancelled and I caught a flight into Miami instead of FLL... My first night there I dove on rental gear, no biggee. Not my preference, but it was perfectly acceptable gear. Internationally I might be more concerned but Roatan is well stocked with dive ops, from what I understand so I still wouldn't worry much about it.

I put the gear in three separate bags. The computer goes with me in carry on luggage. I have a rolling duffel bag with separate compartment bottom where I pack BC, mask, dive lights, and wetsuits. I have XS Scuba wheeled mesh back pack. The rest of my gear fins, snorkel etc. goes in the dive bag along with the kids pool toys and beach buckets/shovels. The last two are checked in luggage.

I don't like the expensive BC and lights to be in a mesh bag where people can see what's inside even if it's secured with a lock. And when I get to my dive destination now have a proper dive bag to carry the gear.

Can't help re how to back BC, I use a plate and wing which packs pretty flat, but as another poster said put in it first and then pack in and around it. I carry on regs, lights and computers everything else gets checked in. Having said that I might just add mask to carry on next time as I have a small face and most masks do not fit me.

As an instructor this is a problem I am faced with this dilemma on a fairly regular basis. The best option I have found is to pack all my dive kit in a hard suitcase, wear my dive computer and carry on another hard case bag with my laptop change of clothes and mask / snorkel. I have thought many times about buying a dive suitcase but just seemed to me to advertise there was expensive kit inside. If the worst happens and my checked in bag is delayed I can borrow kit from the dive shop and at least I have a mask I am comfortable with and my dive computer, laptop and clothes. Not had an issue yet even when travelling to remote islands with lots of stop overs and plane changes although I will admit each time I am waiting for my bag I worry myself silly. Hope this helps good luck on your travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom