Treasure Coast ? 40 foot meg ledge ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend and I want to do begin treasure hunting .

So we are both advanced divers and know nothing of treasure hunting.

We would like to learn about Florida"s treasure coast or other opportunities for treasure.

Also have heard a rumor about a 40 foot meg ledge off of NC coast.

ANY info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

There are some charters out of Venice Florida that should be able to get you on some nice meg teeth

Google aquatic safaris scuba center Lots of info on the NC offshore ledges on their website and they run charters.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Meg ledges, even the shallow ones, are quite a bit deeper than 40'. Venice tooth dives are all less than 30'.

So, NC Meg ledges are all in the 90ft-115ft range as far as I am aware. The "inshore" ledge is around the 90ft range, MAYBE you can find some in the 80-85ft range. The offshore is 100+. If you do find a shallower NC ledge, I sure want to know about it too.

Venice FL has teeth in the 25ft-35ft range.

NC teeth are generally bigger, but you have less time down there to look.

There is always the river option too. The Cooper River is shallower than the NC ledges, but its current, gators, bull sharks, and blackwater. More importantly, mudballs the size of cars rolling on the bottom toward you.

If you want charter suggestions, PM me, I have done both as its my favorite dive activity.

The NC ledges are much deeper than 40 ft. Shallowest I have found teeth is ~90 ft. Most average around 100-105.

ALL.... N.C. meg ledged are deep...start at 90' "ish"...and go from there. I've been on ledged from 90 to 140'.
Couple of things..and take this for what it is, not bustin your chops...

I am a treasure hunter, who also dives meg teeth. Have my boat in the Carolina's. If your profile is correct, your not ready for this game at 50 dives... your deep, your 30-40 miles offshore, the weather can turn on you in 20 miniutes and kill you, the currents can get ya, the bottom is a moonscape, so ya better be lined in...there's a host of things you have to have in order to do this. And it's HARD work. Doubles, scooters, bag, reels, deco bottle, etc etc etc. If ya screw up out here, it'll kill you.

Get some dive experiance, get some wisdom, accrue the knowledge and skillsets needed to do it right...than look into doing it...

Not being a jerk...just giving you the real picture so you can make solid, informed choices. I do this for a living, and it;s a young mans game.

Reach out if you have any questions, and I'll be as helpful as I can.

good luck

ALL.... N.C. meg ledged are deep...start at 90' "ish"...and go from there. I've been on ledged from 90 to 140'.
Couple of things..and take this for what it is, not bustin your chops...

I am a treasure hunter, who also dives meg teeth. Have my boat in the Carolina's. If your profile is correct, your not ready for this game at 50 dives... your deep, your 30-40 miles offshore, the weather can turn on you in 20 miniutes and kill you, the currents can get ya, the bottom is a moonscape, so ya better be lined in...there's a host of things you have to have in order to do this. And it's HARD work. Doubles, scooters, bag, reels, deco bottle, etc etc etc. If ya screw up out here, it'll kill you.

Get some dive experiance, get some wisdom, accrue the knowledge and skillsets needed to do it right...than look into doing it...

Not being a jerk...just giving you the real picture so you can make solid, informed choices. I do this for a living, and it;s a young mans game.

Reach out if you have any questions, and I'll be as helpful as I can.

good luck

Thanks for the input, My profile is very old, will try to figure out how to update

The Meg ledge I’ve been to in NC was 110ft.

There are charters that go out to them, you’ll likely have to dive with them a time or two before they take you. I went with Black Jack Tech Diving out of Aberdeen, but they closed about 5 years ago.

Really cool spot though, worth finding a charter to take you.

I miss diving in the Carolinas, great spots with tons of big fish.

Back
Top Bottom