Treating a Aluminum Mount for Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoastalTradition

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I am having a camera mount for my speargun fabricated, and it
will be out of aluminum (cheapest option and easiest to work with). How can I
treat this so it won't oxidize as fast?

Would plain old rustoleum paint work? Any other options? Anyone ever have
anything anodized? Is it cheap?

or powdercoat it.

I don't know how well it will work for aluminum under water but I coat all my jewelry in clear nail polish. Does a pretty good job for that and will be cheaper than powder coating or anodizing would be... may not work though so I'd do a couple test pieces first.

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

Hardly worth paying to have something fabricated when there are already solutions on the market that should work with any gun... plus the aluminum is anodized...

I'd just rinse it after use. My bare aluminum mount is 100's of dives old and still clean.

The best is hardcoat anodizing, the second best is probably type 2. To do one part is not worth it. You need volume, otherwise the minimum charge for type II will be arounfd $100 and hardcoat $150.

You can paint or powdercoat, you'll just eventually have to redo it.

Bare should last a long time if you rinse it.

Best metal would be 316 Stainless or better yet Titanium...

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

Hardly worth paying to have something fabricated when there are already solutions on the market that should work with any gun... plus the aluminum is anodized...

Thats only for rail guns. I used the side arm as my mount though. Just had a bracket plate made to accept it. So I have the anodized piece from mako, just need to do something with the newly made piece. Powder coat seems to be the best option. Otherwise anodizing is like $50

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom