Tri-split fins .. soon to appear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the near future I will be diving at the aquarium at Epcot. For fear of contamination of the marine environment I will not be allowed to bring my own gear, especially my camera (with all of its contaminated grooves and crevasses). From the youtube videos that I have seen I will likely be supplied with split fins. Frankly then seem to "crumple" to me when anyone kicks with them (based upon the videos), but I will happily try to complete half of my dive with split fins, and half with no fins at all. Would you like me to report back in this forum?[/QUOTE]

Yes I would like it.
Years back I had the same concerns, but now I can frogkick, backkick and do helios with them.
Even had "tech"divers come up to me and ask "HOW" that could be. :D

BTW they do take getting used to. :)

I do wish people would stop using the nonsensical analogy of a spinning propeller as proof of the superiority of split fins... until such time as they can also show me a diver who's legs spin at 4,500rpm.

:shocked2:

That said, divers would be better off moving at the relative speed of a paddle-wheeler compared to that of a speed boat. But hey, if folks want to strap on split fins and zip around like mad all over the reef... feel free.

As useual, a pretty rediciulas(?) statement.
I've been wearing splits for about 10 years now, and I would love to see you swim with the same slow speed as me :D

I just might move 10 meters in an hours dive

Why is it that some divers who can't or won't use a particular piece of dive gear assume a superior knowledge over those who do?

Yes I would like it.
Years back I had the same concerns, but now I can frogkick, backkick and do helios with them.
Even had "tech"divers come up to me and ask "HOW" that could be. :D

BTW they do take getting used to. :)

If they are issued to me, I'll be taking a pair for a spin on Tuesday.

Just to be redundant, I don't care what fins you dive. I just don't like being lied to. The "physics" behind split fins (that I have seen in their promotional material) is complete cr@p (I have a strong background in physics). Now, as boulderjohn has recently pointed out elsewhere, just because the reasoning behind something is cr@p it does not mean that the thought itself (or the device, etc.) won't or can't work for some other reason. Dive what you want. Just don't espouse pseudo-science cr@p.

Once more. I have more fins than Carter has lift bags. My split fins work as advertised. I have a strong background in engineering, but have not dug deeply into the physics claims. They work more efficiently than paddles, but not as "precisely". I can helo with all my fins. Can back up with my Smokes. Was really not effective with my Bios.

For the life of me, I don't understand all the bashing and "elitist" posts that come out whenever a split fin thread comes out. Fins are a tool. I don't know if splits will push a set of doubles and a stage or two, but that comes down to the strength of ones legs I suppose.

I have a damaged knee and hip. Splits are tits on a Ritz.

As useual, a pretty rediciulas(?) statement.
I've been wearing splits for about 10 years now, and I would love to see you swim with the same slow speed as me :D

I just might move 10 meters in an hours dive
Been using both Bios and Atomics for years (Atomics being slightly stiffer, and positively buoyant), and I agree entirely...

This board is full of posts by paddle owners acknowledging the "speed" of splits, however, I crawl over a reef or wreck. I don't race. Frog kicks work in splits, as well as flutter. The fact that they're easy on my knees is just gravy.

Keep the duct tape...

2 splits, 3, 4...why stop there? I'm going to develop a split-fin that is essentially a bunch of rubber spaghetti dangling off the end of a foot pocket. People will love them! I can already hear the accolades: "These fins are awesome! They require no kicking effort whatsoever...and they're so effecient it felt like I wasn't even moving! In fact, it felt like I was sinking uncontrollably to the bottom and being rescued by a DM wearing paddle fins!"

2 splits, 3, 4...why stop there? I'm going to develop a split-fin that is essentially a bunch of rubber spaghetti dangling off the end of a foot pocket. People will love them! I can already hear the accolades: "These fins are awesome! They require no kicking effort whatsoever...and they're so effecient it felt like I wasn't even moving! In fact, it felt like I was sinking uncontrollably to the bottom and being rescued by a DM wearing paddle fins!"
Very helpful...

All we misguided split users appreciate the value of your considered wisdom, and the originality of adding one more welt to the dead and rotting horsehide...

Back
Top Bottom