Tricks for getting flights from Sorong (SOQ-CGK)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem. I have lived here for six years and am just figuring out that one can never become an "old Indonesia hand." The complexities of life in Jakarta, let alone Indonesia, are baffling. I just try to do the best I can and remember to never take myself too seriously.

Anyway, this is a very clear lesson in the art of avoiding "Tourist Tax." No tourist flies just from Sorong to Makassar. Nor do tourists really ever hang around Makassar, so the Makassar to Jakarta ticket is cheap too. The afternoon flight from Sorong to Jakarta ticket screams of tourists heading back from Raja Ampat to catch a midnight international flight to wherever, therefore they tack on a few million for no good reason.

Prices work that way for expats too...we call it expat tax. It is by far the most annoying aspect of living here. One of my favorite activities is to hang out in the truck or around the corner out of sight while my wife negotiates a price. She then sends me an sms and we watch the seller's face drop when I walk in. We had a furniture guy literally insist on changing the price after running her credit card and two minutes later meeting me. I explained very calmly and with a smile that we would never want to do business with the sort of people who had different prices based on people's appearance. He agreed and together we loaded the table into my truck. Good times.

Don't worry about the beers as I my feet and butt will be planted the sand and under the sun on Gili T as you pass through Jakarta. Have a great trip.

I agree with Matts1w! The Sorong airport is craziness ! You never know how long you will wait in line to even check in. I have lost quite a few pounds sweating to death while waiting to check in. They call it the Sowrong airport for a reason!
matt: ah, but that's not the economy fare. you'll notice that the leg from SOQ-UPG is executive class. The UPG-CGK leg is economy. That's why it's insanely expensive.

I'm reconsidering option #2. I was informed that the 11 am Sat ferry is supposed to take 1.5 hours from Wasai but is usually a half hour late, and 15 mins to airport. So even if assuming late ferry, I should make it to the airport by 1:30 pm. Is there any good reason not to assume that if I can make it to the airport by 1:30 I should be able to check a bag and get on the 2:35 flight? Got to be a small airport, no?

Then if I get screwed I can always stay the night and get on the next day's flight. Shouldn't be too hard to find a room and switch flights if needed. Imma thinking.

@Jenniferscuba: Yes, every time I have to book a flight in Indonesia. For us it works perfectly! There is a small fee if you pay by credit card but prices are still ok. And you get your tickets really fast. One time we had to change the flights and also got the refunds without any problem. My recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom