Trident Double Seat Diveyak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the 2 person Diveyak (not the newer XK2020 thing). I don't know where you'd fit 4 tanks on it, or how you'd go about swapping tanks, but two complete kits fit on it just fine. It looks something like this rigged out.

http://www.deep-six.com/page92.htm

When I was using it, I'd carry it down to the water, then strap everything to it, then paddle away. I carried a small folding anchor, stowed in a bag in one of the seatback pouches, and just clipped it to one of the d-rings when we got to the dive site. I have two clip lines (6ft long with bolt snaps) to clip the BC's to and prevent from sinking/floating away, then kit up in the water. Getting on is the reverse. Clip your BC, then get on the kayak and pull your gear up and strap it back down. It does store easily in the garage or a closet, but the stock paddles and pump are barely adequate. I bought some real Ocean paddles with leashes and a double action hand pump. After that it worked very good and I could set up the whole thing in about 5 minutes.
It's rock solid when on the water (not tippy feeling at all), but blows around in the wind if you don't put the skegs on. I never tried to launch in heavy surf, but in light/moderate stuff it wasn't too bad. Also, make sure that you cinch the seats up really tight (to the point of the back being forward at the top), otherwise you'll slide down, making your back sore.

Now I mostly dive from my Avon inflatable. But obviously that's more money and more hassle (engine, gas tanks, registration, etc.), but I wouldn't hesitate taking the kayak out.

Thanks for sharing -- I must have missed an earlier post about the XK2020 being a 2-person (the marketing photos only show one seat installed), so looks like I need to make a choice between either the older Diveyak that Dannobee has or the XK2020. The XK2020 is about $200 more -- and possibly lacks some of the stock accessories that the older model has.

I think the best option might be to just come back to shore for second tanks. This would also keep me from worrying about the gear sitting unsecured on the surface. Am I being paranoid about the security issue? I'm in the Massachusetts area, where there is a bit of an ongoing hot-cold war between lobstermen and divers, where dive flags are occasionally cut, bricks dropped on divers, divers have been dragged. Would a nice inflatable sitting at the top be an easy target for vandalism or theft? (another argument for the cheaper model :) )

As has been mentioned it does not have foot braces and a secure seat. These are needed to provide efficient propulsion. While not an expert on kayaks I am now going into my fourth year of diving from kayaks and on my second kayak. A hardshell sit-on-top (SOT) will vastly outperform one of those rigs in most all cases. Yes, they require a little more proficiency in balance but several SOT kayaks are quite wide. Actually, like riding a bicycle it can be challenging at first and then becomes super easy. A sit on top kayak will have multiple foot bracing locations plus an aluminu foot brace can be added. They can accept avariety of well secured seat and seat backs that fully support you and allow powerful and efficient use of the paddle. Unless you have some real need for a kayak that stores in a bagI would get a hard sheel sit-on-top kayak. The ones I am most familiar with are the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW (advanced users but fast and carries a large load), the OK, Scrambler (XL) and the Prowler 13. Cobra Kayaks makes similar units that are excellent and their are others that are equally nice--get a bright color--so power boats do not run you over--trust me on this one.

The rack on my truck is a Yakima Rack with their kayak holders. It has been carried up there even on long trips with not much hassle. My truck there is heavily loaded and the front coilovers are turned down. Normally it sits about two inches higher, getting the kayak up there by myself can be done but fortunately people always stop and help me--why--because I am Nemrod.

I edited to add this info. A kayak in almost all waters must carry a USCG life jacket, safety gear, signals and all that just like any other boat. Notice the kayak vest lashed to my bow. I have already carried the tanks back to my truck in the pic but also notice the gray seat/backrest, very comfortable. I carry two tanks, the second goes in the bow hatch. Change over can be--uh--exciting. N

Kennyscot:
Any thoughts on the Trident Double Seat Diveyak? Good,bad?? Where is the best place to get one? What to look out for?? What do you like about it or hate about it. Good for surf? Rough h20?

Thanks KS
Howdy!

I just saw your diveyak review, and I am thinking of getting one. I am in California, and have seen your (black) model, as well as yellow and white model 2020 with amidships dive hatch that takes a 3.5hp motor -- the one I'm more interested in. If you have had the experience personally, have you tried paddling a 2 seat diveyak solo? Would that not be a good idea? I am asking because I thought it might be a good idea to have a seat to share with different buddies, but also go alone for pole fishing or just paddling around (I only buddy dive). Thanks and best wishes!
Peter

Back
Top Bottom