Trident Magnetic Octo Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkaug

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.tridentdive.com/Export203.htm

New octo holder I saw and had the chance to play around with. Takes quite a bit of tugging to seperate the holder. And if you need to re-attach it, just let the wonders of magnetism do that for you.
I know what some of you are thinking, what about my compass. So far above and below the water it seems that you need to get the module within 6 inches for the compass to begin to turn.

One big problem with those sorts of magnetic toys: Magnets are primarily iron.

Iron rusts like crazy.

If you do a decently large amount of diving, the magnet will likely rust out within a year.

YMMV, and I'll agree that they are handy, but be aware of their weaknesses and guide yourself accordingly. :)

Well got mine over a year ago and it does not rust :no
Don't know how they did't but it doesn't :confused:
And I love it,stays in place almost all the time,just hold it on the giant stride :D

The one from trident is made from Delrin, mine is plane alu.

If someone really wanted to do it right, they could encase the magnets in plastic. I have a magnetic glass cleaner for my fish tank, and the magnets are EXTREMELY strong, and enclosed in a slick, hard, plastic skin. You can keep it in the water without any fear of rust.

Regards,

Gary

Looks like the magnetic has a derlin cover over the magnetic portion. Derlin is very tough and I don't see rust being an issue. What keeps the bottom half from seperating if the hose is removed? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom