Triggerfish Attack Head Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that the attacks are related to mating activities anyway. This is just kind of an obnoxious fish, and I think that's really all there is to it.

You can use a secondary reg to make bubbles and chase'm off usually, though. No biggie.

i agree that it's obnoxious fish(only during mating period) but they are smart too. One instructor told me that he was bushed whacked by 2 triggers. 1 had swam past him and the 2nd fish attacked him from behind. during that farcas,the 1st one came and joined in the party.

And another on i witnessed was 2 triggers ambushed my instructor after he chased a giant pufferfish over a stone ledge. He went over the ledge only to turn back to swim for his life when 2 of them charged him.:D *the rest of the grp saw the trigger and had long gone :D. We were further back watching the show.

dive_lover88:
And another on i witnessed was 2 triggers ambushed my instructor after he chased a giant pufferfish over a stone ledge. He went over the ledge only to turn back to swim for his life when 2 of them charged him.:D *the rest of the grp saw the trigger and had long gone :D. We were further back watching the show.
Another take on the buddy system.

I scared of triggerfish more than anything in the ocean so far, haven't dived with bull and great white yet.

First time attacked, my husband/buddy got attacked first. We were at our safety stop, he was cornered until he decided to surface. I saw him getting into the boat and the trigger had gone. I didn't realize that it made a big U turn and went right to my head. The good thing was, he banged into my tank. It was a very loud sound and I'm still laughing until now thinking about its swollen lips.
It was a yellow margin/peach faced triggerfish, the second ugliest trigger.

The Ugliest, of course is Titan Triggerfish. We hold the record of being attacked three times in 45 minutes dive from three different Titan triggerfish! It was their mating season I guess.
First attack, we were just decending when the fellow chased buddy. Buddy swam to my direction, we were very close anyway, and we finned like hell while we were still trying to equalize. Lucky the attack didn't last long.
Second attack, by the most nasty bugger, it chased us for what feel like ten minutes (I guess it's really ten minutes), attacked and attacked again although I'm sure we had finned horizontally far away from the first point of attack. Looked like it was having fun, or maybe it hadn't gotten a bite of flesh yet.
We were super exhausted after that.
The third attack, we didn't see the trigger, it bit our fins, when we turned back and saw the trigger frontally swimming with full speed, honest, I was so fed up until I laughed, but of course I ran. It was so frustating, tiring until I had to laugh looking at its determination to bite us.

The three attacks were the highlight of the dive, we didn't do anything else.

Since than, our group always fin backward away from a Titan (facing it). Our DMs saw us doing that, and taught us how to predict them. If they are bitting the coral/eating or swimming, they won't attack. What you have to prepare is when they are stationary and looking at you with vicious eyes, then you'll have to run.
But I think for us, regardless what they do, we stay away from them the minute we see one.
Another reactions from DMs, one laugh at us, the other finned away faster than us.

We heard of nasty thing they do. Scar on my DM's face, I heard diver lost ear and..ouch..nipple. Don't ask me how.

Cheers!

I've been rather fortunate with Titans. My first LiveABoard trip on the Barrier Reef, I came across one. Didn't actually twig on what it was, and wanted to get close for some photo's. Thankfully for me it wasn't mating season - and it must have been a placid one.

After that, I decided to keep my distance. I'd prefer to learn from other peoples mistakes without making my own. I got some nice shots (and a bit of video). I think that'll do me.

Back on the boat I was told I was rather lucky. Reading this thread through - I'd say that lucky would be no exageration.

Latest attack from a trigger fish about the size of a 15inch notebook.
Dive site : Paku Kecil
There are 3 - 4 trigger fishes around that dive site but nearing the end, didn't notice there's one below me at the slope to open sea, I felt a sharp pain and a short yank like someone trying to grab my leg and pull, when I turned around, the triggerfish already return to it's territory. I was wearing a 3mm full wetsuit, with a thin padding (black and blue color from Bare - female) around the knee and in between the ankle and knee. There's a nice small hole in my wetsuit now.

IMG_0337.jpgIMG_0338.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom