Trim with 2 and 4 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecRec50

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,
I dive with a Xdeep Stealth Tec and I only use 1Kg of weight (on the central weight system (behind my spine) what ever the number of (aluminium) tanks S80 that I bring : 2, 3 or 4.
However when I switch from a configuration 2 tanks to 4 tanks (cross fixing) I need to lower the position of the 1Kg weight, otherwise I become super "head heavy" ... Is it the same for you guys ? Thanks for your answers and tips.
Kind regards and cool bubbles

l
Hi guys,
I dive with a Xdeep Stealth Tec and I only use 1Kg of weight (on the central weight system (behind my spine) what ever the number of (aluminium) tanks S80 that I bring : 2, 3 or 4.
However when I switch from a configuration 2 tanks to 4 tanks (cross fixing) I need to lower the position of the 1Kg weight, otherwise I become super "head heavy" ... Is it the same for you guys ? Thanks for your answers and tips.

You need to move weight to lower compartments, also heavier fins helps too.

Hi guys,
pretty standard if you have 4 ali tanks, even with 2.

4 valves + 4 first stages on floaty S80's is alot of up front weight. Plus most of the lift in you wing is in your lower back which does not help either. Usually heavy fins, big a$$ battery, big primary reel, and back pouch full of crap hanging on your butt helps offset this. Or just go dry suit and you an trim your self however you want.

I only use 1Kg of weight
Would you be underweighted if you had to use reserve gas? If so, then another kg would help with that and being head-heavy.

Reactions: L13
Would you be underweighted if you had to use reserve gas? If so, then another kg would help with that and being head-heavy.
Hi, I never finish my S80 lower than 70 bars so that they stay neutral. In case one would be emptier, in a sidemount config it is always possible to dekit the tank and shoot it ... Problem of adding weight just for the trim is that it would make me super heavy at the begining of the dive ...

Hi, I never finish my S80 lower than 70 bars so that they stay neutral. In case one would be emptier, in a sidemount config it is always possible to dekit the tank and shoot it ... Problem of adding weight just for the trim is that it would make me super heavy at the begining of the dive ...
You have to plan to use your reserve gas. If you’re struggling to stay down when dipping into your reserves you’re going to have a worse time on top of an already bad time.

Hi,

why don‘t you empty your tanks on one of your next dives below your reserve, say down to 20 - 30 bar, and check whether you can still stay at depth? You might not always be able or want to dekit a tank. Then you know how much weight you need for buoyancy.

Best wishes Jens

You have to plan to use your reserve gas. If you’re struggling to stay down when dipping into your reserves you’re going to have a worse time on top of an already bad time.
Hi, yes sure in case of an emergency, if I need to breath until empty my deco tanks, I will do, but then I will just shoot them to the surface one by one, to avoid becoming too buoyant ... Regards

Hi, yes sure in case of an emergency, if I need to breath until empty my deco tanks, I will do, but then I will just shoot them to the surface one by one, to avoid becoming too buoyant ... Regards
Sound very very expansive. I see your location in Indonesia. If your doing 4 tank deco dives then your out in open ocean. If you "shoot" your tanks to the surface with the currents in Indonesia you can kiss your tanks and regs goodbye. Last I checked a tank with valve was about 4-5 jt and a good stage reg SP or Apeks was about 9-10 jt. If you "shoot" 2 of them your looking at 30 jt gone.

Also remember when you say neutral yes maybe your tank is close to being neutrally buoyant but that does not mean the balance of the tank is neutral. When were talking ali tanks the tank is always going to be very head heavy because it has a valve and first stage. Drop your tank in the pool it does not lay nice and horizontal (even if you claim it is neutral) it will always stand up with the valve and first stage on the bottom. So when you put 4 valves and 4 first stages up by your shoulders your going to be fighting this natural tendency for the tanks to do that and obviously as you breath down your gas it gets worse hence why you have to keep adjusting your sliders to keep your tanks in trim. So this is why most are suggesting to put weight on your lower back, heavy fins, etc. to offset this and additionally help keep you down in an emergency situation where you breath down all your gas.

You said you have an Xdeep stealth tec. Google say that has 19kg of lift, more than plenty of lift to offset a couple extra kg block/blocks you throw in the lower back.

Hi,

why don‘t you empty your tanks on one of your next dives below your reserve, say down to 20 - 30 bar, and check whether you can still stay at depth? You might not always be able or want to dekit a tank. Then you know how much weight you need for buoyancy.

Best wishes Jens
Hi, with my 1Kg weight, I can have both my 2 main sidemount tanks (S80) almost empty at 20 bars only and still I can stay at the 3m decostop, just by exhaling a bit more and keeping my lungs slightly smaller ... Then, when I add 1 or 2 decos (S80 as well) I do not add any weight ... I just plan to lower the weight on the central system of my Xdeep to keep having a good trim. I do not like to be too heavy at the beginning of the dive ... What do you think of this ? Do you add more weight if you add more deco tanks S80 ? Kind regards and nice bubble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom