Triox for the masses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Because a forum isn't real life. In reality, those $1000 flashlights represent a TINY TINY minority of the dive industry.

Ok so your right about that. But divers in general do spend a lot of dough. The reason I pose the question here is that many of the divers here actually use trimix/triox, have taken the course and might know some reason the average nitrox level diver couldn't just as easily add a wee bit of helium. I havent heard any reasons along those lines that are compelling. Cost is obviously a hurdle for some but a whole lot could afford it if they wished.

Brian Gilpin:
Why not? Why are agencies making it so hard to get triox/trimix cards? Is there something inherently dangerous about it? It seems simple enough as long as you dont mess with the Oxygen levels beyond those allowed by a nitrox card.

I will be taking rec triox in the future as soon as I clean up a couple of skills I personally was not satisfied with in DIR-F. In the meantime I want my gas! Why are they keeping it from me?
06.gif
Does anybody have a good answer?
I guess mainly because many don't see the need for trimix on a 100ft dive.

wedivebc:
I guess mainly because many don't see the need for trimix on a 100ft dive.

Yes but in this forum many do. I would like to find out for myself. And I will but..

So what many of you are saying is that if rec trimix cards were as simple to get as nitrox cards that there would be no demand. I wonder. You would think it might be a good niche market.

Yeah I know its expensive. So what. So are motels in Monterey, my favorite dive.Still the dives sites are well occupied. Since shops there already offer Helium you would think they wouldnt mind selling a bit more.

It seems that if you just added 20%-30% on a dive to 100 ft it might help.

I understand that deeper dives require deeper knowledge.

jepuskar:
When is He set to run out?
Don't worry, helium use at recreational depths won't keep your grand kids from seeing a 20 ft tall Bugs Bunny balloon at the Thanksgiving Parade.

Brian Gilpin:
I still have not heard a viable safety concern.
The only one I've heard is that helium (even at recreational depths) is less for giving of making a rapid ascent. In other words, if you have a problem and bolt thinking it's okey since you're within the recreational no-deco limits you run a much high risk of getting hurt then you would on nitrox.

Now, I must admit that tidbit comes 100% from surfing SB so take it with a pound or two of salt.

Brian Gilpin:
I still have not heard a viable safety concern.

helium ongasses (and offgasses) from tissues faster. a "recreational trimix" dive within the "NDLs" runs a higher risk of DCS if someone tried a CESA. it requires mandatory safety stops (deco stops) and slow ascent rates. training and equipment needs to take into account the fact that a direct ascent to the surface is less acceptable than in normal recreational diving.

The problem w/trimix (triox) is that you have to have pretty solid control of your buoyancy to use it. If you take a look at the general diving population, buoyancy control is not at the top of their list of "must haves"......

With that in mind, my guess is that training agencies are a bit concerned about having trimix available when the diver's can't control their speed of ascent.

edit: I sat on this post while on the phone, and then hit "send". You guys are too quick!

detroit diver:
With that in mind, my guess is that training agencies are a bit concerned about having trimix available when the diver's can't control their speed of ascent.
Call me a cynic...I think that is the last of their concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom