Trip Report 8/1-8/8: Kona Aggressor II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been some postings about the siginifcant reduction in reef fish numbers at Kona due to people collecting for the aquarium trade. Do you think this had any effect or not??

Great trip report!!

The Kona Aggressor II travels to areas where really not too many other divers frequent. I've lived here for 10 years, I don't see notice any less fish than before. But now that you mention it, people out here usually only see diving as a way to be better at spearfishing - they only see the ocean as another resource to take from. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Good trip last week. The layout of this boat works quite well. Saw lots of smaller fish, turtle etc. The highlight being the manta dive in front of the Sheridan with about 15 showing up and three following us back to the boat where they stayed with us all night.

Good crew, great food, outstanding captain. The only peeve I had was the DMs spending most of their time taking pictures/video so they could sell their "shows" to guests at weeks end. Would prefer they find and guide. There's enough photogs waiting their turn for shots - self included.

Actually saw LOTS more smaller fish in quantity and variety in front of our hotel (Outrigger Kanaloa) with hot and cold running turtles. Probably because of public beach next door and life guards - not a good place to be seen messing with the fish.

Highly recommend this Aggressor for easy diving.

Can someone tell me about the boat itself? I have a trip booked for April 2010 and I'm concerned with seasickness. I've never done a liveaboard before but I do know I get sick on boats. Will this trip be a problem for me? What are the waters like?

The boat moors in calm inlets, and unless you look out you don't feel it move while underway. Since it is a catamaran double-hull design, there's much less rocking than a single hull. Go - be pampered and enjoy. Might want to post a "what works for seasickness" question on Diving Medicine - ScubaBoard

I do recall they had some meds for seasickness on board but don't recall what they were.

I wore the patch (Transderm Scop) and generally had no problems. The boat did rock a bit more than I expected (maybe more so for me as I had the quad room upstairs), but this was only my second liveaboard (first being the Aqua Cat, which might be a bit more stable). In any case, enjoy!

P.S. If you do decide to go with the patch, whatever you do, don't touch the patch and then your eyes without washing your hands multiple times! The medicine in the patch can cause your pupils to dilate to enormous sizes. This happened to me the first time I wore it (on a cruise a few years ago).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom