Trip Report: Bangka Island, November 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn, I would not return to Bunaken and certainly not at Murex Manadao.

My experience of Bunaken, both times was not ideal. So much garbage, Lembeh looked pristine. The majority of the dives were dark and deepish. Though the top of the Reef is gorgeous once you discount the garbage, just not enough time was spent there. On the other hand, if you like turtles, it's got a couple of awesome sites. How those turtles are still alive in spite of the trash astounds me.

I like the rooms at Murex Manado and the food is OK, I guess but it's a 45 minute boat ride out to the garbage patch for the dives.

Thank you for your feedback. Your description of Bunaken is consistent with some of what I have heard, so perhaps I made the right decision in going to Bangka instead. I am nonetheless curious as to why Bunaken seems to be more popular, though.

And so cold 9ver there, I loved hoovering over the volcanic vent!

Something has happened to the plethora of pygmy seahorses too, at least on my last two trips to the island. They can still be found but not like on my first visit.

When ironed says Bad thanks is building next door, I'm assuming that the resort is still out of sight and ear shot of Murex.

There is also a thermal vent at the Kuala Sipi muck diving site on Bangka, if that appeals to you. It had a decent population of critters but was still quite modest in comparison to Lembeh. Anilao also has a few thermal vents, if that interests you.

I don't know what happened to the pygmy seahorse population of Bangka in general, but in my case, I lost sight of that one pygmy seahorse of which I managed to get a semi-decent shot after another diver hit its sea fan with a careless fin stroke. I don't know if he fell off or I just lost sight of him.

The new Bastianos is around the corner from Murex, with some natural features in the way. I did not hear any noise from there, but that might be because it was just a "soft opening," or because of the generator or compressor noise near my room.

Yes, I've been over other vents at Bangle but the one at the pier in the mainland was extraordinary!! It was like a pool!

The frog fish were all over the pier pilings, dozens and dozens. It was really something to see!!

A resort went up. I think it is for government higher ups or some such and pier is now restricted area. :cry:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom