Trip Report - Bonaire, April 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else coming down between 5/14-5/21? We would love to meet and dive with some fellow SB members!

Thanks so much for the well written report and very nice pictures. We'll be on island the 20th of May for our third visit. This time we'll be at Den Laman. Can't wait to try out my new camera gear!!

The wife and I will be staying at Bamboo Bali the 20th through the 28th. I will have a lap top though to stay in touch though if need be

Enjoyed your report; a lot of style in that report page! Nice 'first person shooter' style walk-through your week.

That photo of the dark-colored blenny sticking out is very impressive.

Richard.

Enjoyed your report; a lot of style in that report page! Nice 'first person shooter' style walk-through your week.

That photo of the dark-colored blenny sticking out is very impressive.

Richard.

thanks.
That is a sailfin blenny and we found several of them right off the Buddy's pier in 10' deep water max. They are very territorial, the males anyhow, but very shy. The way you get them to come out like that is to show them their own reflection - trick them into thinking another sailfin male is attacking. Ron used a CD disk he keeps in his BC pocket (great signalling device we use when doing liveaboards, etc). He stuck the disk in the sand right in front of the sailfin's hole, he peaked out and saw the "other" blenny and came out and put on a show. He popped up his fin several times, but Ron never got a shot of it up.

how we found him:
110406_SailfinBlenny_0553.jpg

note he is dark, almost black

seeing himself:
110406_SailfinBlenny_0557a.jpg

Another picture gives you a look at his body almost completely out:
110406_SailfinBlenny_0559.jpg

he also changed colors, going to this light silvery-blue color.

after attacking several times, he settled back down:
110406_SailfinBlenny_0562.jpg

robin:D

Great report Robin. Really makes me miss diving and the whole relaxed atmosphere of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom