Trip report Destin last two weekends.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been neglectful, and not done any trip reports the last two weekends....me bad.

Water is slowly warming, vis (when not dark from storms) has been pretty good... 40 -50 ft (until someone messes it up).

I've been shooting a lot of macro images (kind of fun for a change)..

Got images of a new fish for me... pigmy seabass and found out we have a species of shimp here, I thought did not live this far north.

So, as with all good trip reports (this is for you Glenn).. a couple nudibranch images:

nudi_2011_09_01.jpg

nudi_2011_09_02.jpg

Beautiful! Destin has always been a favorite vacation destination for us as well as the Port St. Joe area. Looking forward to diving there.

More later, have to go exersize.

OK, I hate those tiny images.

Some frog fish are always around:

frog_fish_2011_07_10_02.jpg

frogfish_2011_07_09_01.jpg

frogfish_2011_07_09_02.jpg

and no trip report from the northern gulf would be complete without some seaweed blenny images:

cardinal_2011_07_09_01.jpg

blenny_2011_07_17_01.jpg

blenny_2011_07_17_02.jpg

That is my gloved finger in the bottom of the last image... seemed he (she) liked me a lot.

Last edited:
nice.

I tend to play a lot with octopus... but if you decide to do that, just be aware that every so often, one will do more that come out of their hole, they sometimes jump on you...

Here is one in the process of doing just that:

octo_2011_07_10_08.jpg

I actually got in a fight with one this last Sunday, ended up hitting it to get it off the strobe... it inked me.. and was not happy.

Better still is to give one something to eat... but be careful not to do the same one several times... or again, you will have them on you..

Here I am handing a shell to one...

octo_2011_07_10_02.jpg

Here he is happy with his new found dinner:

octo_2011_07_10_06.jpg

Just doing the happy finger dance will get them out usually.. one just has to not be too good at it.

octo_2011_07_10_01.jpg

Oh, and consider carefully what might happen if you find a really big one...

Now the new stuff... after doing this for, well, lots and lots of years, I am amazed that every year I see stuff I have not seen before...

For fish, we have the spotfin jawfish (a pair actually):

jawfish_2011_07_03.jpg

Hope one day to get the whole animal.

And the pygmy seabass:

fish_2011_07_17_02.jpg

And last, a terrible picture, but what you are looking at is a shrimp I would have bet did not live in this area.. and here it is, the Red Snapping shrimp... now that I know what they are, will work on getting the whole animal..

shrimp_2011_07_17_01.jpg

Here a couple of the other shrimp we have:

Not much bigger than the claw on an arrowhead crab, these guys are hard to see:

anemone_shrimp_2011_07_17_03.jpg

Pederson, on the otherhand are somewhat easy:

peterson_shrimp_2011_07_09_02.jpg

pederson_shrimp_2011_07_17_02.jpg

And some general images:

hermit_crab_2011_07_17_02.jpg

coral_2011_07_17_01.jpg

cardinal_fish_2011_07_17_01.jpg

basket_star_2011_07_17_01.jpg

skate_2011_09_01.jpg

batfish_2011_07_10_011.jpg

Last month has been fun...shame summer cannot last a lot longer.

Some are very aggressive, and a big one is a lot stronger than a human. I've had two this month that jumped me...would hate to get bit by a big one..

punching one seemed to upset it enough to leave...so there is always that option.... pulling on the arms does not work.

I received my first octopus bite about a month ago. More like a nibble, but enough to convince me I had outstayed my welcome.

Excellent photos as always.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom