Trip Report, Fantasy Island - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not been to a resort for a couple years and not sure if it is required that you are checked out on Nitrox or not. We normally dive without but I realize that the bottom times may be shorter and not sure how that impacts the dive boat timing. If we need to can we pick up a class there or is that something we should do prior to going... Thanks for the info.

The all-inclusive dive resorts are a great place to get nitrox certified, as you have the evenings relatively free to study. We got certified so that the dive-fly times would be safer. Generally, cost of doing nitrox daily is somewhat prohibitive - at FI it was $10 extra per tank -the percentage was 32% and the fills were shorter, as mostly the DMs use them and they don't pump them up as much - cost at $10/tank- adds up at three dives per day - just not worth it to do daily...Don't think they limited bottom times at all, but the other tourists on the boat may get impatient if you're the only one down there for an additional 10 minutes on every dive. ..esp before LUNCH!! You won't bump into nitrogen limits or anywhere close - unless you do deep diving certification while there (on top of 3 daily dives) or do additional shore dives. Then, using Nitrox helps... Generally, the DMs bring you back to the boat area and you can play around there for the rest of your bottom time and practice your bubble rings or get more detail of the coral heads and the life in that area.

Oh, you DO have to have a NITROX card to get Nitrox there, but they don't "check you out" if you got the card.

BTW - with Nitrox, the bottom times aren't shorter - the max depth is shallower and the surface interval is shorter...

Howdy to all!

Just wondering if anybody would have a copy of Willie's email, he did my certification over the summer and I seem to have misplaced his email, any info would be helpful to try to get in contact with him! Thanks!

I just returned from a trip to Roatan and thought I would pass along an update. We stayed at Fantasy Island. They offer a 50% discount the first two weeks of January so may want to keep in mind for next year. We had 3 cloudy days and the rest sunny. The ocean was calm but vis was 50-60' due to the end of the rainey season. The no-see-ums are reduced at this time of the year and we had been told that during the summer it is hard to sit on the beach due to the little bugs. The dive operation was very good and all sites are within 10-20 minutes from the resort. They have 3 dives a day plus, what they call, beach diving. The beach dive is actually a boat dive from a small boat to a site close to the resort. The food was great. We did go to Los Palmas and go on a shark dive that was worth it for me as I had not been on a similar dive.

After our week there we went inland to San Pedro Sula and Copan. We had a great 4 days and had a private guide who arranged all activities at a very affordable price. They provided van transportation, hotels and guided trips. If you plan a trip like this the side trip is well worth it to see the ruins and culture. The tour agent in San Pedro Sula is Gilberto and he can be contacted at mayanct@hondutel.hn It was a great 10 day trip.

I went to FI twice last year when the airfares were cheap. Its a great deal. Is darren Willie's brother? There is a DM there named Derry who is Willie's cousin. Anyway...the manager of the hotel is a real gentleman. Anything nbot perfect in your room, just tell him and it get fixed right away. Food is way above typical dive resort fare. International crowd from Cenral America, US and Europe. Temption Island III was partially filmed there last spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom